Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multihoming - Design Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aholmes

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2001
US
We have two subnets on our LAN to segment traffic and we are using a windows box as the LAN subnet router. I would like to offload the routing to a Cisco 3640 that is our WAN router with two Ethernet ports. I’m only using one Ethernet port at this time with an ip address on subnet A , Can I multihome the active Ethernet card to use both an IP address on both Subnet A and Subnet B to route traffic between the two or should I setup the second Ethernet card for subnet b and route between the two...

or, is there a better way to replace my windows box.

I sure appreciate the help.. thanks so much.

Andrew

Yes. You need to look into configuring sub interfaces. Depending on what layer2 you have (managed switches or unmanaged) you can setup dot1q subinterface or use ip address secondary.

Thanks so much. Do you know if you have to use vlan on the sub interface or can I just use secondary IP?

Are your switches setup with vlans currently? If so it would be best to use a subinterface with vlan tags on your router. If not, then secondary interfaces will work but it's not the best way.

Subnet A on one ethernet port, and subnet B on the second ethernet. No need for vlans or subinterfaces. The traffic will already go between the sunbets with no additional configuration since they are directly connected.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back