Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multihomed Dual NIC problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naproxen

Technical User
Feb 4, 2003
US
Hello all!

Ok...Here is my goal.
- To have a dual NIC XP Pro box that is able to connect to both my internal network via Gig copper and at the same time be able to access DSL services via 10/100 thru a router/modem with static IP's, creating what I would think to be a poor mans DMZ.

And, of course, here is my problem.
-Both NICS are healthy and working but will not operate at the same time, that is to say I have to disable one to have the other one hit it's gateway (to grab web pages I have to disable the NIC connected to the server and vice versa) Each NIC is on a seperate subnet. All IP's are static. KB articles haven't taken me very far. The situation looks like this:

NIC-1(10/100)----->HUB----->MODEM/ROUTER---->Internet

NIC-2(1000)----->SWITCH----->SERVER

It works in my dreams anyways. If I could only have both of them going at the same time. I should explain my purpose for doing this since it might help finding a solution. I would like to be able to pull files from an online FTP server into this box and then push them onto the internal server without either network being aware of the other. Maybe there's a better way? Security is the key here. The movement of files from one network onto the other will require human/mouse interaction.

Thanks in big sloshing buckets!
-bill

Hi,

I've got a similar problem @ home. PC running XP Pro SP1.

NIC-1(10/100)--->SWITCH(10/100)--->Internet

NIC-2(10/100)--->Microsoft Xbox

When the NIC that connects the Xbox is enabled, my PC acts weird. DNS doesn't work. Can connect to the internet randomly and so on. I don't have a solution tough, hope someone has ;-).

I have this working on a W2K box this way:

NIC1 (10 base)- ADSL router - internet

NIC2 (10/100) - switch - LAN

the essential difference is that I run analogX proxy and bind it to NIC2. I have 10 PC's running through the ADSL via the proxy on this setup.

Excellent.

I'll check it out! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back