Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multihome win2k server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJB417

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
US
ok. I have a win2k server edition w/ 4 NICS
NIC1 -> connects to cable modem
NIC2 -> connects to client machine A
NIC3 -> connects to client machine B
NIC4 -> connects to a print server

What do I need to setup to get machine A and B to access the Internet. Please me very detailed. I set the IP of NIC2 to 192.168.0.1, NIC3 to 192.168.0.33, and NIC4 to 192.168.0.65 all using subnet 255.255.255.224.

What must I enable/disable? What should I enter as the default gateway for each NIC? What should I enter as the primary and secondary DNS? How should I configure the DNS server? I created 3 scopes for each NIC but what should I put for each scope's router and DNS IP?

why don't you buy a small hub,
attach 1 server NIC to the cable modem,
NIC 2 to the HUB,
your clients and print server to the hub,
set up RRAS (NAT) on Win2K and configure your clients to use the LAN IP of your server as default gateway..
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Definitely get into a hub or switching with your LAN. Actually for $150 - $200 US you may want to get a Cable Modem/DSL router configured with a 4 - 5 port switch. This will provide increased security for your LAN as well as resolving the connectivity issues you're tackling by filling up slots on the server with NICs. It allows for a central straightforward ( relatively ) management GUI through the web interface that comes with any of the available hardware pieces I'm suggesting.

I've had a good experience with one of the Linksys products

The SOHOware BroadGuard is an equally good product

These are the two products I've used hands-on, but there are quite a few manufacturers out there offering similar routers in this price range that are equally as good. Opting for switching instead of a hub will better utilize your available bandwidth as your LAN becomes more populated and grows. The downside of using a switch versus hub at this level ( small office or home LAN ) is the slight possiblity of a conflict with existing hardware, though in practice ( and by checking the manufacturers compatibility list ) this should not be a valid issue.

bah, I have all the hardware I need. W I N 2 K S E R V E R !

regardless, I was able to fix the problem. I had to enable and configure RRAS as a Router w/ NAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back