Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multihome VPN Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2001
US
Here is my situation.

I have 5 static WAN addresses using only one that comes into a FlowPoint 2200 DSL Modem / 4 Port Router. This DSL Modem / Router leads into 1 of 2 Intel 10/100 NIC’s on a Dell PowerEdge 2300 Server running on Microsoft BackOffice SBS (Small Business Server) version 4.5, SP4. The first NIC is the WAN IP which is directed from the FlowPoint DSL Modem / Router. The second NIC (coming from the server) is configured with a 10.0.0.2 IP address which is sent to a NetGear DS516 / 16 Port Dual Speed Hub, which disperses the dynamic addresses (to 8 workstations) from the server that is running DHCP. There is another catch, there is also a Proxy Server that is running as well on this server, which was also enabled by the former administrator of this system, this is all bundled apps included in SBS 4.5 Server.

The Problem.

The client wants his wife to be able to work from home (i.e.: VPN or Remote Control software, I prefer VPN myself), which would give her access to the centralized files (she needs to input and update) on the server that the office updates daily. I personally wanted to reconfigure the setup with a different hardware configuration, but do not want to jeopardize the network with any outages at all (the client is an accountant in a very busy office with 10 employees and cannot have ANY downtime right now). I thought maybe a quick fix would be to add one more workstation next to the server on a KVM switch (1 Monitor, 2 PC’s) and use WebEx On Call (a web based, browser remote control application), which uses port 80 and executes all remote control functionality on WebEx’s high speed servers and backbones with a thin client browser connection. Quite Fast. But then I got a quote from them for $1500 for setup and $400 a month for 2 licenses, on top of $600 for a new workstation and $120 for a KVM switch. I’ve attempted to try and use PC Anywhere and other RAS and PPTP configuring, but with no avail. I cannot get past the multihomed and proxy firewall. I really need help on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Johnson

Hi,

I just quickly read over your problem and if you want remote access boy do I have a solution for you. The best remote control program I have seen yet is absolutly free. It is relativly easy to set up on a windows 98 machine or an NT4 machine, slightly harder on a linux machine. Anyways I am getting off of the subject. I would really sugest you try it because I have found that it is one of the most useful products that I use today.

that is the link to get it

Brian Ellis

Computer Assistant - Wayne College- University of Akron

P.S. I dont work for at&t or anything. Like I said the product is completely free, I am just extremely excited about it and I love to share. I have used it for well over a year now and have not had problems with it. As with any form of remote controling software it requires a decent connection to use productivly, but you will have that with any software of this type. This may not be the best answer but it is at least worth a look!

You need to open up the appropriate ports to allow PPTP to pass..port 1723. You also need to allow the PPTP protocol to pass on you firewall. Even with DSL on both ends, it is still pretty slow. What I did is once you have established a connection with PPTP I then use PcAnywhere, that way there is some encryption and you dont have to leave PCanywhere ports open for people to scan.

This is actually easy to setup without the purchas of any software. You will want to run PPTP over RAS. In the following, I assume that you are running NT 4.0 server and Proxy 2.0. First, got network in control panel and add the PPTP protocol and then add RAS. Configure RAS for receive only. In proxy server, right click on WebProxy and go to properties. Click Security and make sure that packet filtering is enabled and that the dynamic box is checked. Click Add filter and add in PPTP receive. Go to usermanager and assign appropriate dial in rights to the user. Add PPTP in network on the client and create a dial-upnetowrking session which uses the VPN adapter. This should meet all of your needs.
sladd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back