Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multicast Simulation Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

vallan

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
EU
We are setting up Multicast and need to monitor live traffic between multicast servers and clients. What can be simulated to carry this out?.

Unfortunately, the market that we use for multicasting closes over the weekend so we need another application that can simulate multicast.?

Does anone know of an??

Thanks

The smartbits can simulate Multicast traffic. You need to by the unit and the Multicast Option.

Thanks

Sorry what is smartbit?. Where can I get it?. I was actualy looking for a tool I can download off the net?

Thanks

Sorry Don't know any.

put smartbits in google. Go to the netcomsystems page. It's a test set and it's very expensive.

Neteng

Microsoft has a command line application in the Windows 2000 & Windows XP/2003 resources kits called 'mcast.exe'. This can be configured either for sending & receiving multicast packets. There is also another tool on the MS Research website called 'Mping.exe' - this acts as a sender and a receiver simultaneously (as in it transmits to a group address and also joins the group.
Tibco also have some command line tools called 'udpsend.exe' and 'udprecv.exe' that do similar jobs.

If you are looking at generating vast amounts of traffic though Smartbits is probably the best - albeit an expensive tool.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back