Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multicast ghost problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech2k

Technical User
May 5, 2002
US
Hello, Im trying to use Ghost 7.0 to Image a new HD in a client connected to a "server" by x-over cable (XpPro). Im trying to use Multicast to create the image, and followed Nortons directions but its not working properly!
The boot disk boots up but Ghost does NOT start automatically like they say it should! I can type ghost from the cmd prompt, but the Multicast option is grayed out!
I set up the network boot disk as DHCP. The client boots with the floppy ok, loads all drivers, confirms name/password, but brings me to the A:\ghost>dosghsrv prompt....
It then lists all options like Filename Session {options}
Can someone PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS????

I need to image this pc ASAP before loading any more drivers/applications!!!!!

Please Help....

Multi-cast is used to push an image to a client. Create an image and save it.
Then the machine running the multi-cast server can broadcast the image to the clients that need it and that are booted with the ghost boot disk.

Did you go through the interactive demo? I had never tried it this way. It looks fairly straight forward.

I tried to use the I/D but it brought me back to the same page! I seen the demo for a peer-to-peer through TCP/IP but that was not using Multicast! Im gonna try to use static IP's on the boot disk this time and direct it to the server instead of DHCP? No one has used Ghost to Image with Multicast?

One more question, please: By using the normal way over the network, with NO compression the time to completion was like 4 hours (1GB of info 10GB partition), with FAST compression time was 2 hours, and with HIGH like 1 hour?
Shouldn't this be the opposite? I would think no compression should be faster, and Norton says it should too?
How long should the normal image take for this 1GB of info?
Thanks,

To send the image when we were multicasting took about an hour and used high compression. I havent done it for awhile, but we were sending our images to a netware server and it took about the hour under high compression. I havent tried it with no compression as this would take up a lot of server drive space.
When you go to multicast server there should be an option to create a boot disk. this is what we used.

hey futuretech, thanks for all the help...I think for now il just use the normal way to image ;) I sent an e-mail to symantec to ask them. We'll see what happens.....

Hi, I've used Ghost versions 6.5, 6.51, 7.0 and now 7.5 in the multicast mode and it doesn't take that long to ghost an image. I suspect that you have a network card problem or something ?? My images are around 2.9 GB in size and take somewhere around 20 minutes to upload to my server and probably 7 to 10 minutes to load on to a client machine, using a 100 MB network system (Mostly using high compression to save server space). (My server is a Windows 2000 Advanced server and the images that I'm doing have been mostly winnt4/novel client and recently I've gotten a Win 2000 Pro to work.)
Oh, and I usually do 3 or 4 machines at a time and occasionally upto 8 machines at once.

The suggestion of contacting Symantec is a good idea. The site that I monitor for suggestions and idea's is:
Try looking there and maybe posting your problem with them ?

The major problem that I found with ghost is that it's documentation isn't very good ! too much skipping around..

Mikeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back