Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multicast between VLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen98b

Technical User
Jan 13, 2010
US
We have a Extreme BD-8810 and I'm trying to get multicast setup between 2 VLANS, and I've had no luck so far. I've enabled IGMP and PIM-DM on both vlans, is there something else I need to do?

did you enable multicast routing <enable ipmcforwarding> for those vlans?
then try it again!

ciao

This is on a BD-8810 XOS 12.3.1.2

ipmcforwarding has been enabled on both vlans

Here is the config:

enable igmp snooping forward-mcrouter-only vr VR-Default
enable ipmcforwarding vlan "Default"

enable ipmcforwarding vlan "servers"

enable igmp vlan "Default" IGMPv3

enable igmp vlan "servers" IGMPv3

configure pim add vlan "servers" dense

configure pim add vlan "Default" dense

enable pim

Your missing a few steps my friend. IP Forwarding for one, and you must run a dynamic routing protocol because PIM-DM and PIM-SM both rely on either RIP or OSPF to create their MCast routing tables.

Configuring PIM-DM Overview
To configure a switch to support PIM-DM perform the following general steps:

1 Configure VLANs, router interfaces, and Enable IP forwarding. Let's say you are testing between ports 1 and 2. You can enable ipforwarding per VLAN or globally as shown.

#config vlan Default delete ports all
#config vlan Default ipaddress 192.168.10.1/24
#config vlan Default add port 1
#create vlan Servers
#config vlan Servers ipaddress 192.168.20.1/24
#config vlan Servers add port 2
#enable ipforwarding

2 Configure a dynamic routing protocol such as Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) or Routing Information Protocol (RIP) and apply the routing protocol to the VLANs.
PIM-DM is not going to work without OSPF or RIP.
I would use the keyword passive since you are probably just testing between hosts on two VLANs and not doing a full on OSPF deployment with other neighboring routers. You also must remember to enable OSPF globally.

#config ospf add vlan Default area 0.0.0.0 link-type point-to-point passive
#config ospf add vlan Servers area 0.0.0.0 link-type point-to-point passive
#enable ospf

3 Verify the routing protocol routes.
# show iproute

4 Verify that IGMP is enabled or enable it.
# show igmp

5 Modify IGMP parameters if desired.

6 Enable IP Multicast (IPMC) forwarding. You can enable IPMC Forwarding per VLAN or globally as shown below.
# enable ipmcforwarding

7 Enable PIM-DM on the VLANs that need to support PIM-DM. use the (passive) keyword if you are not peering or PIM-DM routing with other neighboring PIM-DM aware routers to avoid broadcasting PIM-DM routing inforamtion

#configure pim add vlan Default dense passive
#configure pim add vlan Servers dense passive

8 Enable PIM globally.

#enable pim

9 Start the multicast stream at the source.
10 Initiate a receiver Join.

11 Verify that the workstation receives the multicast stream.

Suggest you look at the ENS Certification Materials for Multicast Routing available for free download from Extreme Networks Here:

Extreme has several multicast routing lab examples in the ENS training labs with sample configurations. Extreme also list what needs to be enabled at minimum to get it to work. You will need to create a profile on the website, but you can download all of the training materials for free and you can even take the Extreme Networks Associate course complimentary online. They don't show the PIM-DM example, but I have taken the course so I wrote the steps for PIM-DM above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back