Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multibooting with Windows XP help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp110

MIS
Apr 19, 2004
US
I have two different hard drive on a machine with XP installed on both. I've edited the boot.ini file like:

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP MEdiaBackup" /fastdetect

I am getting an error message when I select the "XP Media back up" about the configuration may not be right or to choose the correct path file. Can anyone help?

Try this, added the space.

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS= "XP MEdiaBackup" /fastdetect

woops, 2 spaces needed

I have two different hard drive on a machine with XP installed on both. I've edited the boot.ini file like:

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS ="XP MEdiaBackup" /fastdetect

bah ill get this straight in a minute, sorry for the multiple post dont normally make that mistake over and over lol.

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "XP MEdiaBackup" /fastdetect

Thanks for your help electronicsfreak you've have given me the right solution but i'm thinking my problem is something else. the message I'm getting is:

"Windows could start because o hardware configuration problem.
Could not read the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware." any idea?

I am wondering if it could be a jumper issue. At first I had the second hard drive as secondary and was getting that message so I switch it to cable select and i'm still getting it. One more thing I have both hard drive connected to the same IDE cable.

thanks in advance

Obvious question - are both drives being detected in the bios (do they appear on POST screen - if not, follow your own suggestion and check the jumpers. Both should be set to cable select or master should be set to master - with slave present if applicable - some drives have separate settings for this, and slave to slave)? And, if you boot from first disk, can you see second in explorer/disk management? Is the partition on second disk set to active? It is the first partition on second disk that has XP installed? Can the second disk boot ok on its own? (ie, disconnect fisrt disk).

You also haven't mentioned the history of second drive - just assuming it was installed on this same machine, because if it wasn't, that is likely your problem (XP installs don't like being moved to different hardware - need a reapir reinstall to get them working often).

both hard drives appear on post, XP was installed on both hard drive using the same hardware. I am able to see both disk in disk management and they are both healthy and the second disk is set to active. Both disk boot on their own. I have just noticed though the first disk is fat32 while the second one is NTFS, would that make a difference? if any suggestions on how to make them work together?

Questions, questions...

How did you carry out the XP MediaBackup install? Was DISK 0 in place when you did this?

If you physically disconnect DISK 0, set back to default the XP MediaBackup's BOOT.INI file, and configure DISK 1 as a master, will it boot?

Have you ever had DISK 1 booting XP MediaBackup?

One other point... Boot up with a basic floppy disk (WIN 98 will do), run FDISK, and check that the partition on DISK 1 is set to "active".

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Did you look at the link that I referenced in an earlier post?

Is this how you installed two copies of XP?

Or did you set one copy up on one drive and then while that HD was not connected install a second copt to another HD.

Then try to install both HD's and access both copies???

If this is the case, you have not actually established the boot option.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I have read the explanation from the link you sent me rvnguy and it didn't really help me much. I installed XP one at a time on the same machine. One thing I had not try which I will later today is loading the backup drive as primary. thanks for the tips G0AOZ

Thanks linney, that link is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back