Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi user - win 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibearian

Technical User
Jul 4, 2001
GB
We have just migrated to winxp and server 2003 from MAC and we are having sharing problems with the DB. It says you only have a sigle user licence or the db is single user (we have a five different user licences).

We have changed / reinstalled all the FileMmaker Pros with different unlock codes, set the db to multi user and checked local ansd remote companion and set TCP/Ip as protocol.

It worked yesterday ! we could all see the same data.

but today we are back to the same message ! and no sharing !

any ideas .........

ibearian.

PROJECT H
mailto:ibearian@projecth.co.uk

Ibearian,
No real help but...
We used to get this problem but I cannot remember exactly how to fix it. You need to contact FileMaker. Basically, FMP keeps track of the number of users and the count does not get cleared properly. As a result, you end up with too many users.
The fix is very simple.

Cheers,
Paul J.

Sorry i found our error in the microsoft principles of using the same unlock code for each installation. File maker desided we didn't have enough licences so i had to re install all with different licence numbers, now it works ok.

Still get the odd error message but few and far between

thankyou anyway

ibearian.

PROJECT H
mailto:ibearian@projecth.co.uk

U need to have separate licence keys for each station or purchase a voulme licence ( better if u plan to use TerminalSever). The licence key detection works based on TCP/IP and is initiated any time u see your FM Window while loading the FM..."TCP/IP now loading....."
what happends is each Wrokstation "snoops" for other FM stations using TCP/IP -hence they detect if any of them does the Sharing

try to manually remove registry associated with filemaker old installs and then re-install FM on each station.

*If u need to share your DBs over WAN I would suggest u set your 2003 server to be TerminalServer and install your FM workstations based on Volume Licence....
if it is only over LAN they you have done your job- assuming that u have no licence keys in dupliucates

All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back