Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-user / Multi-monitor help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercyfulFate

Technical User
Mar 12, 2007
US
First, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I work for a county government and the Health Department is wanting a multimedia type setup for emergency situations. Kind of like a situation room. I'll lay out what he wants to do, and then the options I know of. Hopefully some of you experts have better ideas.

Scenario: Four users each with their own laptop in a conference room where their display is shown on 4 large screen LCDs attached to the wall. (Where each person can see what the other is doing) Wanting to do this without cords running everywhere.

Health Dept guy's desired solution: One server type machine that allows each of the 4 users to connect and display their desktops on the 4 large LCD monitors respectively.

My response:

Solution 1: I don't think 4 users can connect to one PC and view their displays simultaneously (on each LCD) The server for the room probably isn't necessary. This way is possible by purchasing extra long display cables and running cables from the LCD displays up through the ceiling and down through a conduit to a conference table or through a conduit in the floor up through the conference table then plugging into the laptops.

Solution 2: Have 4 fairly inexpensive desktop systems in the room hooked up the the 4 LCDs. Being connected via wireless to the network, then do a remote connection from the laptop to the desktops. (not even sure if this is possible either)

Solution 3: Still have 4 fairly inexpensive desktops systems each with a cordless mouse and keyboard. (unsure about range with newer peripherals and interference with each other in such close quarters. Fairly small room so the range would be 10 to 15 feet) And rather than using their laptops, would just use the cordless mouse and keyboards.

We'll have about $3K to spend (not counting the 4 large LCDs). And he does not want to use projectors. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you really mean $3k rather than $30k then this guy is living in cloud cuckoo land! Even if you do mean $30k it still sounds as though he's dreaming up something that isn't very realistic.

Personally I'd get him to go back to first principles and re-think what he's trying to achieve. A custom solution will mean higher costs, lower reliability and higher maintenance. It sounds as though his two requirements are 1) four people working and 2) they can each see what the other is up to. Four desks, four laptops, four large monitors and four long cables should achieve that. You can run the cables under the floor and to the desks if he's worried about tripping hazards.

Regards

Nelviticus

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Agreed. $3k is a very limited budget.

You can put something together that would be functional...
Wireless will not get you very much since you still have to provide power, and wireless can be more problematic, and is nore expensive.

Instead
- 4 inexpensive PC's
- Digital video card in each
- Connect to the the LCD TV, preferably via a HDMI port
- Note: LCD TV's have more than one port -- you can have two people connect to the same monitor -- only one PC display can be seen at a time, but use of dual monitors has advantages.

Also, look at third party software such as UltraMon if software that ships with the video card is insufficient.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back