Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi User DB - ldb file opened exclusively - help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frantik

Technical User
Nov 9, 2002
GB
Hi

I have a multi user database - it is a split database - the back end is located on a network drive. Each user has an .mde icon on their desktops.

When trying to access the application I get the message:
"Cannot open G:/Database/database.ldb It is already opened exclusively by another user"

I have set the default open mode to shared, record level locking. Can anyone help me please?

If I copy the backend on to my desktop - I can open it?

Thanks a lot

Fran

I have also noticed that the ldb file appears in the location as the front end - not the back end. Could this be the problem? If it is how do I solve it please?

Thanks a lot

fran

Hi

.ldb belonging to front end should appear in same folder as front end, .ldb of back end should appesr in same folder as backend

All users must have full permissions, including create and delete rights in the network folder in which the backend resides, have they?

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Hi Ken

They do - it is myself who is trying to access the back end - I have created and deleted from that folder - have just checked. However - what is odd is that I cannot see the ldb in the back end folder - have refreshed many times.

Am very confused!

Thanks

Fran

Hi

How are you trying to open in?

A) by opening Access, the File\Open

or

B) by double click on file nmae in explorer

if B) are you sure you are clicking on the .MDB file ?

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

'Hi Ray

I am clicking on the mde front end icon on my desk top - and directly on the mdb icon on the network drive.

Although I have just copied a further database and a spreadsheet into the same directory and it is not allowing me read access to any of them - though I can delete them - so I think maybe there are problems due to the network?

Thanks a lot

fran

Frantik:

I've had this happen a few times. What causes it, I think, is a user locks the file when they're writing to it (when they first open the database). Something happens so they don't release the file, so everybody is locked out.

I end up having everybody reboot, and it works.

The other option is to make a copy of the .mde file, as well as a copy of the .mdw file, join the new workgroup, and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back