Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-table Query Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickyoswald

Programmer
Jun 12, 2004
GB
I have three tables; tblQryID, tblClients and tblCases. tblClients holds client info and tblCases holds case information while tblQryID holds a string from a VB app. There is a report called rptClientCases which holds information from the tables tblClients and tblCases, these are connected as one to many. I set up a query that held the criteria for tblClients, field "Name" :
(SELECT[ID]FROM[tblQryID])

So when the VB app sends a string to the field and runs the report it will only show the report with the name that matches that of the string sent by the VB app.
I have used the same query criteria in other parts of my database, they only work if there is one table involved (beside tblQryID). I am using Access 2003 on windowsXP with all the latest updates and such. I have searched on google and such but cannot seem to find anything on it.

Would you like to elaborate on "Only work", do you get an error message, query runs but wrong results ?

To me it should work, or two otehr possibel variations (a join on Name and Id) or a criteria of IN (SELECT ID FROM..)

One point, the use of "Name" as a column name is not a good idea. Name is a reserved word in Access (eh .name property), using it as a column name will cause propbelms sooner or later

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Basically the code does what I want it to do provided there is only the one table involved in the query. If a second or third table is introduced, I get no error, it simply stops executing the code. I am totally stumped by this.
I will tell my DB guy to check his naming criteria :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back