Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-plexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrn

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
GB
Hello,

I was wondering if were are able to stream one backup to 6 tapedrives/tapes and spread the load. If so how would I go about doing it?

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|
----------------------------

Do you mean taking one stream and striping across 6 drives?

yes

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|

For the specific policy, under the general tab you must ensure that you select "Allow Multiple Data Streams". UNder the "Backup Selections" tab you need to break the client down into NEW_STREAMS. That way, each stream will go to another tape device. If you want E-Drive, for example, to go to multiple tape drives, you will have to break it down further by defining the streams point.

This is on Unix not NT.

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|

So split it into mount points instead.

/
/var
/opt

etc etc

Tim

No I didn't want to do it that way I wanted to use NEW_STREAM but can only get it to use 1 tape, so I end up with 6 Filesystems going to 1 drive, instead of 6 to 6 drives.

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|

Turn off multiplexing then and ensure that "Allow Multiple Data Streams" is selected.

Setup your storage units to only accept 1 stream, then make sure your global settings allows each client to have 6 jobs. Then break your streams down like PGPhantom stated.

Why parms do I set to get Veritas to use as much of one tape as possible instead of partially "filling" one tape?

You don't realy want to do this. In most setups the main problem is getting enough data to keep the tape drive spinning. The best way to do this is use multiplexing to backup more than one server or disk system to ensure that the tape drive has enought data to work with. If the tape drive is not given enough data then you will get very slow backups. Remember 1 tape drive is often quicker than 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back