Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-page vs. Single-page Applications 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonnieJohnson

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
US
I rebuilding a legacy business application that is written in aps.net. I was asked by someone if I would consider building it as a "Single Page Application". My first response is that seemed unreasonable to put all that code and controls on one page. My app is an enterprise level application that performs many functions for State contracted Child Welfare. While researching I can find a lot of advice and stories saying this is the way to go now. I can find hardly anything saying that multi-page is better. I did find some articles saying "it depends on what your are wanting to do..." but gave no examples of which use cases or business scenarios would be better for multi-page.

Does anyone have anything to throw my way or is this really the best way to develop sites now?

ProDev, Builders of Affordable Software Applications
Visit me at ==>
May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

If you can functionally group the operations that a user may have to perform in a single page, then you should probably keep them at the same page. For instance, you can use AJAX modals to overlay the page with 'mini-pages' to offer the user the chance to perform a single step in a larger operation.

A multi-page application, in my way of thinking, could be a central menu system page that will take a user to the actual page that has everything they need in order to perform that function.

Again, it just depends....

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Thanks for the quick response.

ProDev, Builders of Affordable Software Applications
Visit me at ==>
May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

I agree with Mark.
This is just another iteration of programming "best practices". But who decides what a best practice is? For a large scale application, it makes no sense to try to do a single page application. Talk about over complicating your app. This sounds like someone heard a buzzword and now thinks this is the latest and greatest.
If you are the project lead, it should be your decision. You and your crew, if you have one, are the ones who have to code and maintain it. If you are not comfortable with a programming design, or have no experience with it, then why do it? Just another learning curve that is not necessary.
I would keep it multi-page as is. Just refactor code and keep it reusable where possible, standard OOP practices. Just be smart when you do it. This way it will perform the way it should and you and your team can confidently code and maintain the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back