Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-location Folder Re-direction Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmIdiot

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2001
US
I am currently re-directing my users My Document folder to the server and it works fine. However, when they travel to our other office (opposite coast) they have terrible performance issues as expected. Is there some way for me to have them use the local data server in the other office when they travel??? Maybe a statement like \\%logonserver%\share\%username% ??? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem. People travel to the other office 1/4 of the time, so I need to get some solution and I would like to keep the syncronation in place. Any ideas?

Hi There,

Need more info - do your users use mobile computers (tricky) or do they use fixed desktops at both locations (easy)?

Bart.

Laptops, so basically they will be working at location A, and will sign off and syncronize their files with local server A. They will than goto location B and log onto that server and syncronize the files off their system onto local server B. I always want them to use a local server so they don't have to go across the wire accessing the re-direction. Do you understand what I mean?

Just to be clear, they use the same laptop at both locations.

OK, assuming both locations follow exactly the same naming convention for the shares you should be able to use the %logonserver% variable to point users to the correct location. However there are a couple of possible pitfalls -

1. You need to ensure that the data is synchronised - if it only takes the users 10 minutes to get from site to site you will have to do this in real time otherwise overnight should be OK.
2. Just because a user is at a particular site does not mean that they will always talk to the server at that site. Occassionally users will authenticate against a domain controller further down the line if it so happens that that is where the first response comes from.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

It does not seem to work. If I add the variable
\\%logonserver%\share\%username% to the MY DOCUMENTS folder redirection section of my group policy, it fails. If I can't get the fodler redirection to work, is there a good way for me to replicate the data in a users personal folder one one server to different folder on a another server????? Any ideas, ther preferred method would to get that
%logonserver% variable to work... In theroy that would be the best solution. Anyone else have any ideas?

Maybe a domain-based DFS share could be of use here? At the very least you could use it to replicate file systems across servers. As far as what it could do with Folder Redirection, I'm not sure...something to play with I guess.

Do you use DFS, how does it work, my servers are on two separate coast and I was concerned that things may get corrupted. We are connected Via T-1 to the internet and than a VPN making them a secure connection to each other. What do you think?

I can see it working this way:
Make each site a separate domain.

Make identical mapping of the folders between sites. I mean each site will have LOCALLY the same (H:\username) folder. You replicate user folders (profiles) between sites as often as it makes sense, and make the user log into the local domain when he travels. He will automatically have his usual floder mapped .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back