Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-Internet Connection Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

toetag

MIS
Sep 27, 2002
US
We have recently added a new interface to our pix. We will be running a new internet circuit out of the same pix. I am trying to figure a way to say "All server IP's need to go out the old interface and All Users need to go out the new interface"

currently in our route statements, we have a "catch all" rule that's pushing everyone out the old circuit. How would i go about setting up the "rule" for the connection based routing?

Any additional information that i might need to provide?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

"The only desert to an Irishman is an empty glass".

Are the suervers on a different subnet?
If so just make a route statement for that subnet with the next hop the gateway for the specific ISP's connection.
If they are not on a different subnet, can you make a subset of the subnet that will encompass all the servers (splitting a /24 into a /25 or /26) and using that smaller range for your route statement.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Supergrrover,

thank you for responding. I was just re-reading the "route" command in the manual. i was misunderstanding the "ip address" and "netmask" areas. i was thinking this was the far end, not the near end addresses to route.

To answer your question, they are all in one subnet. However, we have a range for servers and a range for everyone else. So if i can get the masks correct, i could probably have this done today.

I'm just not an expert at masking :)

Post your subnets and the range for your server. See if we can get it sorted out.

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

you will laugh :) I adopted this network with the current scheme, but i've already begun to migrate us to a 10 scheme.

130.0.4.0: servers
130.0.5.0 - 130.0.7.0: users

I think this is what i need:

route (outside) 130.0.4.0 255.255.255.0 <ISP1 address> 1
route (outside2) 130.0.5.0 255.255.255.0 <ISP2 address> 1
route (outside2) 130.0.6.0 255.255.255.0 <ISP2 address> 1
route (outside2) 130.0.7.0 255.255.255.0 <ISP2 address> 1

Yep that should work.
Those are considered seperate networks as long as those are the correct masks (255.255.255.0 is a /24.)

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

The Pix route statemet configures routing based on destination addresses, so your configuration would send traffic destined *to* 130.0.4.0/24 to ISP1. From your question, it sounds like you want to route all traffic *from* 130.0.4.0/24 to ISP1, and so forth.

The only way I know to do this is with policy-based routing, which the Pix 6.x series doesn't support. I haven't seen version 7 so I can't comment on that.

I just re-read this. lgarner is right. (Sorry, bad week to quit coffee.)

If you have your servers on a seperate interface(or subinterface and VLANs) then you can do it as before. Just add the route statements for that interface for 0.0.0.0 to go to Outside#2 and have the routes for each of the user and server networks point to each others interface.

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back