Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multi domain and exchange server setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalapeno

MIS
Nov 12, 2001
US
Ok, I'm tired of banging my head against the wall. I could use some help with this setup.

Currently we have as follows:

NT 4 domain called "corp"
Remote Win2k AD domain and forest called "remote.company.com"
2 way trust between corp and remote.company.com
Exchange 5.5 in corp
Exchange 2000 in remote.company.com
Both Exchange servers are in the same organization and site. ADC configured, everything works fine. Internet connector on 5.5 server receives all incoming mail.

Now, we are wanting to replace the old 4.0 domain and exchange 5.5 with exchange 2003. So, I've set up a testbed as follows:

NT 4 domain called "corp"
Remote Win2k AD domain and forest called "remote.company.com"
2 way trust between corp and remote.company.com
Exchange 5.5 in corp
Exchange 2000 in remote.company.com
Both Exchange servers are in the same organization and site. ADC configured, everything here works fine.

I then setup a new Win2k3 server with forest and domain company.com.
I also setup another new Win2k3 server with domain corp.company.com under forest company.com.
2 way trusts are run between all domains, everything works fine.

Next, I setup Exchange 2003 in the same organization and site as the 5.5 server and Ex2000 server. The ADC has been upgraded on the Ex2000 server and is setup on the Ex2003 server. The install goes fine. However, I cannot see the ex2000 nor 5.5 server in the Exchange system manager on the Ex2003 server. I also cannot see the Ex2003 server on either the Ex2000 nor 5.5 servers. I cannot find anything on how to fix this.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm confused by your post a little. Do you have a single forest or two?

Did you upgrade the ADC on the 5.5 box too?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Testbed has 2 forests.

company.com
remote.company.com

And it has 4 domains
company.com (ex2k3 box)
corp.company.com
remote.company.com (ex2k box)
corp (NT 4 domain) (ex5.5 box)

Idea is to eliminate remote.company.com forest and corp(nt domain) later.

ADC on the 5.5 box? uhh, didn't know about that one. I just have ADC installed on the ex2k3 and ex2k boxes.

I believe the problem lies with something in SRS but I'm not sure. I read that SRS is supposed to replicate server names in the organization but I cannot find any configuration options for it except just adding the service (which I did)

Some more information. I reinstalled Ex2k3 and when I got to ADCConfigCheck, I got the following errors. This is the problem, but I don't know the solution. :(

The following configuration objects were not properly replicated to Active Directory:
- cn=Site-MDB-Config,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft DSA,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Protocols,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft MTA,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft Private MDB,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft Public MDB,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft System Attendant,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft DXA,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=POP3,cn=Protocols,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=IMAP4,cn=Protocols,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=NNTP,cn=Protocols,cn=MAIL55,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft DSA,cn=KIEVAD,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft MTA,cn=KIEVAD,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft Public MDB,cn=KIEVAD,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft Private MDB,cn=KIEVAD,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Microsoft System Attendant,cn=KIEVAD,cn=Servers,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Internet Mail Connector (MAIL55),cn=Connections,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=MS Mail Connector (MAIL55),cn=Connections,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=cc:Mail Connector (MAIL55),cn=Connections,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Internet Mail Connector (REMOTEex2K),cn=Connections,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
- cn=Internet Mail Connector (REMOTEex2K)-1,cn=Connections,cn=Configuration,ou=SITENAME,o=ORGNAME
Warning: ADCConfigCheck detected that some configuration objects were not replicated from the Exchange 5.5 Directory to Active Directory.

Will need someone else to chime in here but I don't believe the ADC can work across forests.

Regards,

Mark

It should work between an NT4 domain and AD at least right?

The ADC is designed to replicate AD info within the same domain.

For your situation what you need is for AD to replicate between forests and ADC to replicate from AD to NT.

There is a tool for replication between forests but the name is escaping me right now.

Regards,

Mark

Looks like Forest replication requires MIIS 2003 which is a $25K product. Don't think I can go with that. ;)

Is that the only way?

Yes as far as I am aware.

Is there a reason you can't consolidate into one forest?

Regards,

Mark

We want to consolidate into one forest. Starting to look like we need to rebuild the remote AD first. Would that be your recommendation?

Yes, I think that is your best bet to accompish all of your goals.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back