Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-dimensional array limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJay

Programmer
Nov 25, 1998
US
I created an array <br>Public t(1 to 400, 1 to 1500)<br>to ready in a comma delimited data file&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>and in the programming environment it works great. I can run it or compile and run without a problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>When I try to create an .EXE I just get the hourglass and it never completes.<br>If this is a memory problem should I not get an &quot;out of memory&quot; message of some kind?<br>After cancelling the application ( cntl-alt-del ) everything else on my pc runs super slow until I reboot.<br>Any ideas?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Sounds to me like you have an infinet loop somewhere in code. You might try :&nbsp;&nbsp;Public t(400,1500) and then Option Base&nbsp;&nbsp;1.&nbsp;&nbsp;But the code you have above is right as well so.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;John Stephens&nbsp;&nbsp;

as far as limits on a single element goes, depends on the type like an integer, float etc, but far as how many elements, it can go as far as your physical memory can hold. which brings me to another point that the post above explains a bit, when you close an application forcefully, none of the memory allocated gets freed, meaning that all that memory is still in use, making your compute supper slow, cause its working off the SwapFile. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Have you got array bounds checking turned off in Project/Properties/Compile/Advanced Options?<br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

Remove Array Bounds Checks is NOT checked.<br>Should it be?<br>I can create the .EXE file in p-code in a few seconds but the native code option takes about 30 minutes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back