Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi column combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

petermeachem

Programmer
Aug 26, 2000
GB
I'm converting an Access programme to VB6 ( it's prettier and works better with SQL Server ). The Access programme used multi column combo's here and there.
Does anyone know how to display multi columns in a standard VB combo, or a cheap replacement?
I used to do it with settabs on vb3, but that does not appear to work anymore.

Hello, I am sad you never got any responses to this one, as I have just moved from Access to Visual Basic and would like an answer to this one also. I have found Access can do a lot of stuff easily that appears not to be possible with visaul basic - not without a lot of programming anyway.

My solution to the problem is to create another field in the record set that fills the combo box that is made up of all the fields you want displayed joined together with comas inbetween. It does not look as good as Access, but it is all I could come up with.

Another very late reply, but hopefully very useful to you or to others that might happen to do a search...

Within VB6, you can choose Project/Components, then select "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library"

These are the controls from Access that you are familiar with. Just so happens there is a combobox that supports multiple columns... :)

The only problem that I have had is that sometimes VB gets confused seeing two objects having the same object classname (eg. ComboBox). However, you can select it by using MSForms.ComboBox (this would be in a case where you would be passing a control as a parameter to a sub/function).

Good luck!

Kevin

Yes, thats quite right. However you aren't supposed to distribute the forms dll. It just so happens that my customer has lots of Access licences, so I could use it. I think there is a way you can get legal copies of the dll. As far as I remember it's something to do with the MS control pad software. That's all I can remember.
I didn't find a decent multi-column combo that actually worked apart from the forms one. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back