Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi Booting ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobins007

Technical User
Mar 11, 2003
US
Good Afternoon.

I have Win 98 and Win XP running on my machine and I
have the following setup :

Drive 0 : Win 98
Drive 1 : Win 98
Drive 2 : Win XP

The dual boot allows me to boot drive 0 and drive 2, but
I am unable to get my Win 98 on Drive 1 to work.

How can I get two copies of XP working with XP.

Thanks in advance
John

You mean 2 versions of 98 with Xp ? is W 98 on C: , W98 on D: and xp on E:? is Xp, pro or home edition? and what is your set-up? Ram, processor, how many hard drives etc?

Two instances of 98 on the same drive will not work as 98 requires to be on the C: drive.... Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Yes I have W98 on c:(Drive 0) And XP Home bootstraps from there to my d: Drive (Drive 2), the XP Boot Manager does not see my copy of W98 on Drive 1.

I tried using Boot Magic V8 and a clean install of XP on Drive 2, but I could not get XP to boot. Was able to see both W98 partions but XP failed to load.

Someone told me that it would only be possible to Load W98
from Drive 0 ? and without a boot manager program you cant load W98 from another Drive. You can't run a copy of XP
that's bootstrapped using Boot Magic, it fails to load.

John

you need to reformat D: and make it Fat, Fat32 or NTFS as your file system for xp. W98 must be on C: set as active and the primary partition. If you have partition magic you should make D: logical and bootable ! And make sure C: is not hidden!

if W98 is fat or fat32 then make D: the same (Fat or fat32) or NTFS if you undertsand what NTFS is?

good luck

See "Duel boot XP with XP" thread!
'The truth is out there'! jonjontheMighty

jrobins007

get boot-us ( - linney mentioned it). You should also put your operating systems on primary partitons with their own boot sectors on their own partitions (if not already so). first instance of win98 will need to be hidden when you boot second.

Mulga,

There no problem with multiple 98's on same drive as long as 'earlier' ones are hidden when you're booting 'later' ones.

wolluf,
OK, sorry I forgot the trick of hiding partitions to make 98 think it was on the first.... another case of brainfade
[thumbsup2] Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back