Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTS+Oracle: cannot connect to transaction manager or t.m. unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I get the following error message:
Run time error -214768229 (8004d01b):
Cannot connect to the transaction manager or the transaction manager is unavailable.

My set up is:
Windows NT4 SP6a
MTS 2.0
Oracle client 8.1.7.1.5
Oracle database 8.0.6.0.0
MS ODBC driver 2.573.7326
MDAC 2.6 SP1

My efforts until now were:
I've followed the Microsoft Q193893 completely, so XA support is installed in Oracle (v$xatrans$ + dba_pending_transactions views).

When I examine the cli.trc file that Oracle produces, I can see that a connection to the database is made by mtx.exe, but after that not much more seems to happen.

I've enabled the MtxOci tracing, and trace files are produced, but they remain empty.

I've adapted and compiled the TestOracleXAConfig utility for oracle 8i, and it completes successfully.

I would be grateful for any tip. Also if it is not a solution, but could help me find the cause of this problem.

Anne van der Bom

Replying to my own posting just to let anyone interested know that I have solved the problem. It was a question of permissions.

Each package registered in MTS has a 'Identity' (in MMC go to the package in question, right-click, select 'Properties', tab 'Identity'. The user that is listed there must have rights to the ORA_HOME directory to be able to load the dll's and must have full control to the registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Transaction Server\Local Computer\My Computer
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
This information is described in the MS kb article number Q286382.

This is also the exact reason that my (modified) TestOracleXAConfig program ran without a hitch: I tested it under user administrator, who of course has all permissions on the entire server!

Thanks for your posting, I've also similar problem
with the exact(almost)configuration.

But the MS KB article Q286382 doesn't give enough information about how/what keys I should include in the
registry

Can you please let me know, how to proceed from here.
what should I ensure in the following registry entry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Transaction Server\Local Computer\My Computer

And also, is SQL*NET installation mandatory?

Are there any issues with <%@transaction=required%>
and ADOS & MTS.

Appreciate your help on this.
Mallik
mallik3105@yahoo.com

Hi,
I am using MTS and Oracle.
My set up is,
Windows NT4 SP6a
MTS 2.0
Oracle 8.1.5.
When I try to test my oracle configuration..
when the follwing command executes...
'opening xa_open_entry....

I get 'memory could not be read... read of address 0x00000
error'.

can any one tell me how to configure oracle for MTS?

Regards,
Kanmani.

Are you running this testoraclexaconfig.exe ?
Try compile this program on your box and execute it again.
It may help ! because it may have some dependencies with Oracle client (depeding upon how you got this program.. !) Anyway, I guess you need not worry even though that doesn't work fine.

Did you try with Oraclestress.exe program,
(think, it comes with mts2.0)

And what does your registry key values look like for this entry ??
This is very critical for MTS-Oracle to work. Make sure, it points to the right dlls. It varies with the Oracle client version. For 8.1.7 the above registry entry should read like this..
oraclexalib = oraclient8.dll
oraclesqllib = orasql8.dll
oacleocilib = oci.dll

If you are not able to find the proper entries for oracle client 8.1.5 then upgrade it to 8.1.6 or 8.1.7. I implemented with 8.1.6 very recently.

HTH lil bit
mallik3105@yahoo.com

Greetings everyone,

Just to make it sure, can anyone confirm that if your Oracle DB is on a Unix system, you can only use client ver 7.3.3 and NOT 8 ?

Am getting a bit confuse about that...

I have a similar problem and getting this error.
Technicla details:
Windows2000 when the DLL has the transaction mode required or requires new and if that DLL access database i am getting this error.
if i set the transaction mode to not an MTS object or only Supports it works fine

Cannot connect to the transaction manager or the transaction manager is unavailable.-2147168229

Hope someone have solved this problem

Avinash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back