Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTS Application Memory Considerations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomi2000

ISP
Feb 15, 2001
CA
Dear Fellow Programmer
I have being using MTS using VB since some time but there is onething which i am tracking down is the memory usage of thses application,i track the meomry in the DEVELOPMENT machine & found that when i am running SAY three MTS BASES APPLICATION A,B,C for some time its squezing more and more memory of the machine i am still not understand why with the passage of time the memoery usage is going to steep and increasing ,ine thing which i noticed is that there is a exe name "DLLHOST.EXE" which have multiple instances in the memory,i think this might be the problem ,tell me how many instance should i have for DLLHOST,i think it must be THREE as i am running 3 appication simultaneoulsy ,moreover my VB is also squeezing more memory in DEV MACHINE ,i don't know why?
please help if anyone can know what to consider to limit this memory affinity of the applications :)
Regards
Nouman

There should be one DLLHOST.EXE running for each COM+ applications, if you've creted these applications as Server Applications, not as Library Applications.
Consider that if you call your COM+ Objects from ASP there will be another DLLHOST.EXE for IIS.
Bye

THanx allessender
yes i know that its DLLHOST which actullay hosts the COM+ application and if i have 3 applicaitons running simultaneoulsy than it should be 3 instances in memory
but still not sure why this drainage of memory increases after passage of time
REgards
Nouman

I have the same issue. I am using ASP and Oracle Objects for OLE. Please let me know if you found any reason/solution for this.

Thanks
Krishna

Well, we had a similar problem: two objects (say A & B) in two applications (say A in X, B in Y). A called B.
First we create Y as a library (to avoid marshalling), and the memory keep on growing. When we changed application Y to server, no memory leek occurs.
Why?
I suppose there are bugs in MTS, expecially with VB.
Consider that the new COM+ 1.5 has a feature to solve this problem .. how? It periodically stops and restarts applications (softy), as Microsoft say that memory leek are common things.
So COM+ 1.5 should be the solution for you, unfortunatly you can have it only with XP or .Net Server (which is still in beta).
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back