Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTP Device 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

harris79

Technical User
Apr 27, 2001
GB
Hi.

I'm trying to get a new MP3 player to work. All the others I have ever tried, are connected and seen straight away as a USB drive. The new one comes up as a MTP device, but never installs properly as it says the drives are not loaded. The disk supplied has drivers for Windows 98SE, but not for Vista or XP. If I select update driver in Device Manager, it reports it has the latest version, but the device properties still say "No Driver installed".

I've tried the player on 3 machines (1 x Vista & 2 x XP), I have downloaded Microsoft's "Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit" and "Media Transfer Protocol Enhanced Specification" but installing these made no difference.

I have tried the player's manumacturers site for drivers, but sadly it is in Chinese, and of course I've Googled for a solution. It seems I'm not the only person to have this issue, but there doesn't seem to be any real answers.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get my PC (or any PC) to recognise this device.

Steve

It seems that the MTP Driver from MS cannot identify the device properly and balks...

Here is a little info, probably too technical, but you will get the gist of the matter...

Windows Driver Kit: Windows Portable Devices
The MTP Setup Information (.inf) File

now what do you do:

You need to deinstall the drivers from the DeviceManager...

then rename the following file:

c:\windows\inf\wpdmtp.inf to wpdmtp.old

now copy wpdmtp.old and create a new file called wpdmtp.inf

right click the newly copied file, and open it up with NOTEPAD...

then look for this section:

Code:
;;******************************************************************************
;; The following are to be used in vendor specific "Includes" and "Needs" sections.
;; Specifically, the INF should contain:
;;
;; [DDInstall]
;; Include = wpdmtp.inf
;; Needs   = WPD.MTP
;;
;; [DDInstall.hw]
;; Include = wpdmtp.inf
;; Needs   = WPD.MTP.Registration       <- includes all default legacy API and autoplay registration for the device
;;  - OR - 
;; Needs   = WPD.MTP.RegistrationBasic  <- only do minimum registration, no legacy API or autoplay
;;
;; [DDInstall.Services]
;; Include = wpdmtp.inf
;; Needs   = WPD.MTP.Services
;;
;; [DDInstall.CoInstallers]
;; Include = wpdmtp.inf
;; Needs = WPD.MTP.CoInstallers
;;
;; [DDInstall.Wdf]
;; Include = wpdmtp.inf
;; Needs = WPD.MTP.Wdf
;; UmdfServiceOrder=WpdMtpDriver
;;
;;******************************************************************************
and remove the ;; from the last two sections... it should then read as follows:
Code:
;; The following are to be used in vendor specific "Includes" and "Needs" sections.
;; Specifically, the INF should contain:
;;
;; [DDInstall]
;; Include = wpdmtp.inf
;; Needs   = WPD.MTP
;;
;; [DDInstall.hw]
;; Include = wpdmtp.inf
;; Needs   = WPD.MTP.Registration       <- includes all default legacy API and autoplay registration for the device
;;  - OR - 
;; Needs   = WPD.MTP.RegistrationBasic  <- only do minimum registration, no legacy API or autoplay
;;
;; [DDInstall.Services]
;; Include = wpdmtp.inf
;; Needs   = WPD.MTP.Services
;;
[DDInstall.CoInstallers]
Include = wpdmtp.inf
Needs = WPD.MTP.CoInstallers
;;
[DDInstall.Wdf]
Include = wpdmtp.inf
Needs = WPD.MTP.Wdf
UmdfServiceOrder=WpdMtpDriver
;;
Close NOTEPAD, and it will ask you if you want to save the changes, confirm these changes, unplug the device and restart (just to be sure)...

then plug in the device and it should work...

if it does not, report back...

if for any reason you have problems there after, you can then delete the above file and rename the wpdmtp.old back to wpdmtp.inf, to reverse the changes...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Ben

Thanks for this, I had found the Microsoft page, but didn't understand a word of it!

I tried your fix on 2 PCs, 1 with XP and 1 with Vista, sadly it made no difference.

I have found that if manually upgrade the driver, clicking on 'Don't search I will choose the driver to install', I get the option to select a USB disk option from the list. Doing this makes both PCs see the drive in 'My Computer', but they both see the player as having a RAW file system.

I can't format it as there is no partition and 'Disk Management' doesn't give me an option to create one.
I downloaded a couple of USB formating utilities from HP and Lexar, although my player wasn't made by these companies, it was worth a try but didn't work.

Steve

Steve

I haven't found anything else that might be helpful...

since I do not have that device, nor any similar situation, I cannot recreate nor solve the issue...

as Linney, mentioned is there any more info that you can provide as to the make and model numbers, the VEN&DEV # in the device manager (double click the device, then go to DETAILS tab, there under the Hardware ID #.), would be helpful in solving this...

Ben

Ben, Linney, once again thanks for your help.

The device is a Aigo 1GB MP3 Player.

Under Hardware ID it says -
USB\VID_058F&PID_9360&REV_0100
USB\VID_058F&PID_9360

I have Googled for these, but not really found anything. A tool called FlashRanger claims to be able to format the device, but doesn't even see it.

Although my daughter got this player for Christmas, I'm tempted to just bin it, and get her another one from a different manufacturer!

Steve

Thought as much, generic vendor & device ID's for MTP devices...

I found this, it is worth a try before binning it:

Also the player does not work in Media Transfer Protocol mode with any firmware I've tried.

Either use in a windows system with media player 9 or earlier installed, or manually specify the use of the MSC USB driver - Assuming Win XP:

start > settings > control panel > system > hardware > Device manager > Portable Devices/Media Player > Aigo Mp3 Player.

Then right click, update driver, install from a list or specific location, don't search I will choose, then pick USB Mass Storage Device.
source: Driverguide

Ben

The Media Player 9 option is not really an option at all, all the PC's I can use have got WMP11.

As for the manually picking a driver, I've tried that.

By doing this the PC's now see the drive but cannot format it. I think that your sledgehammer advice, is the way forward!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Steve

Well, sorry to hear that that did not work...

about the sledgehammer, well I found it soothing once in a while to bash on old equipment, relieves stress really nice... ;-) ... but I am glad that I didn't have to do that often...

Ben

Before you bash it I had the same issue on a device a few years ago.

There was a setting buried on the MP3 player that chnaged how it connected. One was Mass Storarge device and the other was maybe MTP or "Computer".
I think it was a case of "nice drivers with bells and whistles" or glorified USB drive.

All I know if I set it to the one setting it just had an eternal loop of trying to install drivers. I set it to a Mass storage device (on the MP3 player itself) and it's been fine since.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back