Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTA Service stopping every once in a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulluz

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
PR
Hey!

IN my system, the MTA service stops suddenly once in a while. Sometimes because of lack of space, and some others because of.. I don't know! Something weird is tha lacking of space. For no reason my C Drive get's full to the top leaving me with about 3MB. I have done clean ups and gather upt to 1.5GB of space, but there's no more places to clean in. So now I'm stuck with up to abut 200MB.

I'm running SBS2000 on the same HD, and Windows 2000. It works as a Domain Controller, and it has a RAID 1 configuration with 2 36GB HD's partitioned (the C drive) in 12GB, and the other 24GB are for File sharing, and etc. I'm also runnning Panda Anti-Virus for Exchange on the server.

I have 2 big mailboxes, one of 400MB and another of 200MB. They need to reside on the server, but in total, mailboxes take about 3GB of space.

What do you think could be causing this thing?

i had to rebuild my exchange server from a backup after some harddrives crashed, and the MTA service will not run at all. Because it's exch2000 and im not relaying info to other exch servers i just disabled the service. But im going to do a rebuild soon.
As for you space issue, i recommend you check to see what folders seem to be taking up the most space on your drive as a start.

Thanks for your answer! I'm not a super Exch2000 user, so didn't get your answer that much. I'm using solely Exc2000 and it's a stand alone server. I do not relay info to no other server since I only have one server. Somebody told me that I do not need MTA if i'm running Ex2000 only, and that's what I'm doing. But why does messaging stops when MTA is not runnig, if I don't need it? And how can I get rid of it at all?

About HD space, it seems to be the MDB folder which gets about 3-4GB's depending on the day. I have a partition on the HD and moved the First Storage Group to another partition with more space on the HD. So by now, even though I'n kind of OK, I'm affraid the C: or D: drive fill up again and something would stop.

If you guys know a whay of preventing this...

Thanks

Reg

ya my mdbdata folder is almost 3GB
you can stop the MTA service if you go into the service applette

OK
This sounds like an issue with logfiles growing out of control. Are you running a backup regularly? If not - there are a set of files that will be duplicates of the files that are in the database. I've seen some server with 8gb of actual mail data and 42gb of .log files.

Log files MUST be removed with backup software. If you use NTBackup.exe to backup Exchange that will do. Yes, there is a manual way for those brains out there, but it's a just a pain in the ass waste of time. Use NTBackup and you most likely will be pleasantly suprised.

Pete

It's probably the log files. They will automatically disappear everytime you do a full information store backup so that's what i recommend doing...just don't delete them, back up the info store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back