Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTA on Exchange 2K3 will not start 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJOL

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2005
IE
The following sequence of events is in the application log on the MSE2K3 server (SP2).
This is from when I try to start the MTA

Descriptions are abbreviated

Event:2068
DSAccess initialized successfully
Event:2219
MTA running recovery on internal message d/b because MTA was not shutdown cleanly
Event:2206
MTA d/b recovery op is now checking queue......

There are a few of the events like 2206

Event:2207
MTA d/b recovery op has completed successfully
Event:2061
Process EMSMTA.EXE PID=5008 LDAP search call failed
Event: 125
A fatal error occurred reading a value from the dircetory. No MTA name is found.
Event:9406
Not enough performance monitor memory display MTA connections
Event: 2078
Process EMSMTA.EXE PID =5008 DSAccess is shutting down

Anyone experienced this before ?

the MTA service on Exchange 2003 is not required UNLESS you are routing mail to exchange 5.5 or non-Exchange mail systems via X400.

See the following:

Previous versions required MTA to send mail. Now it is only SMTP service that sends mail unless you are mapping X.400 connections.

If you don't send mail to 5.5 or non-exchange systems via x.400...then I'd just disable it.

You might try to run the MTAcheck tool from Microsoft to see if your MTA files are missing or corrupt. You can restore the MTA files from the Exchange 2003 CD and essentially restore MTA services that way.

I now have two Exchange servers in the organisation but that's purely driven by the fact that I had to get mail working quickly and so I installed another Exchange server and just moved the mailboxes over so that users could work again. Second Exchange server(also 2K3) working fine.

If I stop the MTA on the second Exchange server, users can not send/receive mail to users on the same server nor externally. If Exchange 2K3 defaults to smtp for all mail then I must be overlooking a configuration detail somewhere because the MTA needs to be running on the second server. If I stop it....no mail flow.

I don't require an x.400 connector to Exchange 5.5 as the organization just has one location at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back