Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSWord formatting Marks 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzziusNavus

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
CA
I am trying to locate a glossary of formatting marks for MSWord to distribute to other staff in my office. I am familiar with many of them and use them when fixing formatting on their documents(I always have the reveal formatting on - they make sense to me), but I am certain that I don't know all of them.

Is there a glossary of these marks? where does it exist?

Hopefully someone can help.

Steven Bitaxi

Hi Steven,

I don't know of anything but, assuming you are talking about the actual marks (pilcrows and the rest), there aren't very many. If you know some, you probably know most, if not all.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Thanks Tony,

Part of it stems from discovering one that I have never seen before, nor do I really understand how it came to be in the document - the non-breaking space, which appears as a non-printing degree symbol, found using ^s

I guess I can write my own, but I expected there would be some glossary somewhere online. It only seemed logical for something like this rather than learning through trial and error. I first encountered them by accident years ago.

Then again, it is Microsoft...

I do understand what you mean, and I suppose it's possible there's a list in Help or on the MS web, but I've never seen it if there is.

I reckon if you took all the special symbols listed under Edit > Find > Special, you'ld have virtually everything.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

From my notes. And Tony is correct, it was the only way I could get the list.

^p Paragraph mark
^t Tab character
^? Any Character
^# Any Digit
^$ Any Letter
^^ Caret Character
^n Column Break
^+ Em Dash
^= En Dash
^e Endnote Mark
^d Field
^f Footnote Mark
^g Graphic
^l Manual Line Break
^m Manual Page Break
^~ Nonbreaking Hyphen
^s Nonbreaking Space
^- Optional Hyphen
^b Section Break
^w White Space

Gerry

fumei's list is useful, but it would be good to also see what these things look like on the page. Thus a non-breaking space is a little floating circle, but how would you show it here?

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

I do not have access to a web site to post a image link to. But if someone else does, that would be the way to do it. Make a list with an example beside it, do a screen shot, and upload it so other can see them.

Gerry

fumei,

Thanks. That is all great.there were two in your list that I did not know. White Space and any letter.

If I come up with something that I can post, I'll let everyone know where they can find it.

Steven

Think this is what you are looking for:-

Regards
Ken............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ken,

Not quite a list but a valuable explanation of function of many of them.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back