Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSWord 2003 - Can Formfields hold a set amount of space in a document? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragsisme

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
US
I am trying to create some forms in Word using the Form features. I have many entries that are adjacent in the same line so I need the formfields to hold a certain area in that line so that entering letters does not move the rest of the document. Can this be done? I need the form to be able to be printed out as a blank form that someone can fill in by hand or one that can be used for direct entry. Should I use some other feature instead of the text form field? Using frames is not manageable due to the size constraints (I can't get them to be the size that I want).

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Owner: [person enters data]Title: [person enters title]

I would like the space between Owner: and Title to be absolute. An entry beside "owner" should not effect the position of "Title". Just limiting the # of characters in the expanding field does not do the trick.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Bob Ragland

Can use table cells. I like to use single-row tables with a RETURN (paragraph marker) between tables. For example, the following consists of three (3) single-row tables with a 2-point RETURN between each one:

Screen View:
trashscreen.jpg

Print View:
trashprint.jpg

You can, of course, turn the table borders on/off to create the desired look for your form.
Hope this helps.

Thanks fumei

I thought about using tables but didn't think that that it would be as feasible to identify an entry for future data retrieval like the form text field (which has an identifier). I have given you a star for a helpful tip as I hadn't thought of using "single-line tables" in this way. This may be the way that I have to go if there are no other options using the form features. Do you know offhand if you can you retrieve data out of table cells easily?. I will be looking into this as well so if you don't already know then don't go out of your way on my expense.

Thanks for your response!

rags

Hey rags!

I think what dcompto and fumei are telling you is to put the form fields inside the table cells! Take a look at the picture - in the first one, form fields are visible (gray).

Exactly! My example above has the form fields inside the table cells. Sorry for not making that clear. Thanks, Lilliabeth.

OK, thanks a lot! That makes a lot more sense.

rags

Yes of course you can retreive information (data) out of either cells in a table, or out of a formfield. You need VBA to do so...unless of course you are simply manually grabbing the data.

The contents of a Text Formfield:
ActiveDocument.Formfields("formfield_name").Result

If you want help of this, post in the VBA forum. There are more efficient ways to get data out.

BTW: if you are going to doing any reasonable amount of VBA with Formfields, it is a very good idea to start explicitly naming them. Do NOT accept the default names (Text1 etc.) Word names formfields in the order they appear in the document. In other words, Text1 always refres to the first text formfield, NOT a specific one.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry

I have done enough work in MS Access to realize the importance of giving the fields unique names and will be consistent with any names of items that are also in the dbase (minus the prefix tags). I am finding the "single line" tables useful but not as flexible as I would like. Especially, if I want to utilize unused space on the right side of the document by shortening the table. Doing some redesigning to work around that problem. Every method of doing things has its limitations so I'm not complaining. I think the way mentioned by dcompto is the better way to go for now.

Thanks for directing me to the VBA forums for help there. I may need it but will try to cull the info from the help files or books first.

I appreciate the attention that you folks have given to my small problem. I hope I can help someone else as much.

rags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back