Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSTSC Remote Desktop XP not functioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkru

Programmer
Nov 13, 2004
US
I have a really strange issue. I have two machines, both with XP Pro. I cannot TS into my upstairs machine. When I open mstsc and type the machine name or IP and hit connect the connect button grays out as if to connect and then activates again dislaying no error message. I checked the event logs on both machines and nothing. I have SP2 on both machines and I have enabled mstsc in the firewall settings. I have tried turning off the firewall settings. I have tried many things. Any ideas? Is there any log files associated with TS? Anything would be helpfull..

Thanks
JKru

Try telnetting into port 3389 of the upstairs machine and see if you connect.

C:\>telnet computerupstairs 3389

If the screen goes all black, you've made a connection. If you get an error like 'Connecting To computerupstairs...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3389: Connect failed' then something is blocking.

Then, go to the upstairs machine, and run

netstat -an|find "3389"

and see if that port is in a listening state. If it is, then the firewall is blocking requests to it.

I tried what you said and the upstairs machine is in a listening state. I disabled the firewall and it still is in that state. The router I am using is in bridge mode and the firewall on it is disabled too. Any other ideas? Thanks for you help!!

How do I find out that the firewall is blocking requests. I can telnet the machine (port 23). I can not telnet port 2238. I can't even telnet port 3389 from its own machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back