Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSTR 7.5.1 Documnet Object Display Null Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambo2292468

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2004
US
Q1. I have a report running using Document and we customized the report and have chnaged the formating of the report like metrics in between. My question is :

Can we Create a null comlumn (No data) in the Document object ?

if yes waht would be best way to achieve this.

Early response would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance
Rambo

Assuming I understood your question correct
Two ways:
1) RECOMMENDED
If you need a space for each detail record place an empty text box with a border to make it appear as a blank box.
OR
Just duplicate the metric and use thresholds to say replace everything in that metric column to show a blank string.

2) NOT RECOMMENDED
Creating a null column in your database

Hi,
I knew how thsi can done in database but i dont want to do that. I would like to go for your second recommendation i.e duplicate the metrics and use treshold (to say replcae everything) how actually you do this can you please eloborate little more on this.

Thanks a lot all efforts are much appreciated

Thanks

Copy and paste the metric into the same folder - it should be 'Copy of <metric>'. Rename it to whatever the null column name should be.

The reason why i suggest duplicate the same metric is that it will return the SAME number of rows as your original metric, in other words, you will not loose any data.

Just go to thresholds and if you are sure all your data is greater than 0, then format the threshold to say replace all values greater than 0 to equal ' '.
If you have both positive and negative values give it an OR condition in the same metric to say:
If greater than 0 then ' '
OR
If lesser than 0 then ' '

You should be able to figure it out

Anyone else has a better idea, welcome to give inputs.

Hi,

1) Define a metric as : ZeroToNull(0) and save it as "Blank Metric"
2) Place it wherever you need a null column.

Shouldnt that be good enough?

- Leo

The reason why I said use the same metric instead of creating another one(even one as simple as you have) is that you do not want to create another pass in your SQL.
When you define any number of metrics with same definition but different names and put them on your report you will only get one pass so long as your metric definitions are the same. The fact that two metrics get displayed, or applying thresholds or format changing..., everything is done by the analytical engine.
And Leo, I am not sure what mistake I am making but when i try to define a metric like the above it gives me a Schema update message.
Not sure why...

Hi, iolaper

I got it working on most occasions by manually typing "ZeroToNull(0)" on the metric definition.

However, thresholds should also serve the purpose.

- Leo

Thanks leo and iolaper it is very helpful.

Leo ,
yeah same here I tried making metric suing "ZeroToNull" and whe i try puting the metric in report it asks me to update the schema..

Threshold metric did work. But as I have 3 null metircs in one report i was thinking of uisng "ZeroToNull" fucntion.

Do you have any idea why we get message to update schema.

Hey Leo, do you have a metric called '0'. Perhaps that is why it is giving us the error. And Rambo it does not matter how many columns you need, you can just keep copying and pasting them and it will not cause any change.

Point is instead of doing all this, since you are using report services why dont you just leave spaces between your metric and it should give you blank spaces. I dont see any issue at all in this.

Hi iolaper,

Thanks for such quick response firstly I am not using reporting services I am using documnet object in MSTR 7.5.1. and I did customized the xsl sheet to display metrics in between attribute but now user want afew blank metrics in between so I had to modify the report and xsl.

Finally I made the metirc as Sum(0) and did the formating as custom='''' with same dimensionality as other in teh report and it worked fine.

I also tried threshold both worked good.

Thanks for all your responses.
Thanks
Rambo

Hi iolaper & Rambo

I dont have any metric called '0'. All you do is:

1) Open a new metric (Metric Editor)
2) Type in.... ZeroToNull(0)
OR
a) Click on "f(x)"
b) Double Click on "Null/Zero Functions" folder
c) Choose "ZeroToNull" function and click next
d) In the "Arg1" field just type in "0" and click finish
e) In the metricdefinition field, you should see the metric
defined as "ZeroToNull(0.0)"
3) Save the metric and use it as your blank/null metric

Hope that helps!!

As a side note... We are not modifying any schema level object, so we need not update the schema.

- Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back