Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSTASK.EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejazz

Programmer
Nov 3, 2000
US
What ever happened to MSTASK.EXE? The .EXE program has vanished from my 2003 Enterprise Server and XP-Professional. There remains some .dll, .hlp, and .chm on both operating systems but the .exe file itself is nowhere to be found. It's also missing from the XP system I use at work.

Was it removed by an MS security update?

A recently purchased TV card tries to use MSTASK.EXE to schedule the recording of programs so that's how I happened to notice it was missing.

No big deal. I never liked or trusted using it. I'm just curious as to why it's gone and not the associated files.

Task Manager works well. It's just that the mstask.exe program no longer exists.

If you do a search on your computer for mstask*.* it will bring up about 10 or 11 files but none of the mstask.exe. The Help files it finds (.chm) refer to the .exe file which no longer exists.

For some reason, the TV Card recording scheduler that started me on this thread has started working tonight exen though it choked all last week (2 weeks) searching for a program names "mstask.exe".

I think you're correct though that it was a Win 9x program. Just why it suddenly started working is a mystery. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back