Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSSQL Errors on web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportypants

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have developed a website using Ultradev4 and MSSQL server, locally the webiste performs perfectly, however when I upload the database to the webserver i receive this error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'tblClients'.

/accessoneSQL/default.asp, line 58

Despite the tblClients being a valid name and also working fine on the local machine, my connection string is:

<%
MM_AccessoneSQL_STRING = &quot;Driver={SQL Server};Server=(local);Database=Sample1_Data.MDF;Uid=login;Pwd=12345;&quot;
%>

I normally use Access, however the database is fairly big now and I have been asked to introduce MSSQL to replace it, I was so chuffed when I got it working locally but this has really stumped me, I am wondering if it is a permission error or connection error?

I am using a W2K server with SQL7 installed and hosting controller to setup the database. I am using my username & password supplied to me with my hosting package which I have been told is correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

JJ

You can't conmnect to an MDF file. You must connect to an instance of the SQL Server service. The database name in the connection string must reference a database name in SQL Server such as Sample1 rather than Sample1_data.mdf. If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

When you connect to SQL server , in the login string you should provide the SQL database &quot;logical&quot; name as defined by the SQL administrator/database owner. SQL Database name is different form the underlying operating system physical file name. It is normally different. If you can load sql enterprise manager, you can see the database logical names on the left pane under the databases folder. ________________________________________________________________________________
If you do not like change, get out of the IT business...

Thank you very very much for your replies, I am trying a few things now and will post the results.

Thanks again for replying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back