Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSP 2003 to MSP 2207 Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMondazz

Technical User
Nov 15, 2005
US
My company is upgrading stand alone MSP03 licenses to 2007 and we're seeing several problems in 2007.
1 - Saving a 2007 file back to 2003 wipes out several text fields
2 - 2007 runs very slow autocalc on now (PCs are current with 3.5gb of ram so should not be HW issue)- 4 second wait time on any kind of change
3 - Passwords on file protection disappearing
4 - random incidents of lost data in files even though users hits Save frequently
5 - Order of resources in drop down list in Split Screen not the same order in Resource sheet - this was very odd to see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much
Steve

We're still on P2003.

As a quick starting point:

1. Have you installed SP1?
2. Are you using standalone vs. server -- and if you're using server, are you able to identify whether the issue is with the Pro "side" of the product rather than the "server" side (or vice versa)?

For item 5, if I understand you correctly (View > Gantt; Window > split; set bottom portion to "Resource Work"; attempt to add a resource to the task) ... that can happen if you do View > Resource Sheet; Project > Sort; Sort by...) and then subsequently add a resource dynamically by assigning work to a resource that isn't already in the Resource list.

Have you thought of reporting any of the issues to MS as a chargeable incident? If it turns out that the issue is caused by a bug then you're not supposed to be charged.

Finally ... what was the business case for moving from P2003 to P2007? If there isn't a compelling reason for moving, it sounds to me as if you and your company might find it worthwhile hanging on to P2003.

Thanks very much for replying
1 - Yes, we are on SP1
2 - All are on stand alone systems - we do not use Server
Item 5 - no resources were added dynamically. It's odd, the split drop down has the resources in there alphabetically while the resource sheet has them in the order that they were loaded. In 2003, the resources in the split maintained the same order as the Resource Sheet. I put the top 10 resources used at the top of the resource sheet for easier adding in the split view.
Yes - it has been reported to MS but no response yet (its been a few days now) we are not surprised by the lack of help from them.
Not sure the upgrade was compelling but the additional features seemed worth the upgrade - bottom line is that it should work and we should not have these issues. Appreciate your help.
Thanks

For a variety of reasons, I regularly end up doing the
View > Resource Sheet; Project > Sort > Sort by... tango and resorting projects that I had previously sorted.

I, too, am not surprised. The Project group is a very small team and they're (from everything I've seen) *very* much focused on Server these days.

I am curious as to which features you found compelling. I'm in an environment that is very much "better the Devil you know than the one you don't" ... we've still got staff using P98!

(Sorry I couldn't be more help.)

Thanks - good 2007 features included better task driver identification, multiple undos (my favorite), better graphical reporting, cell coloring capability and auto highlighting of changes (easier to see impacts of changes). Maybe not "compelling" but still considered useful enough to upgrade.

Task driver identification is good (I'd forgotten about that); multi-level undo is very good (going to be hard for me to adjust because I often click on the undo/redo button multiple times when I'm checking what impact a change has).

As you say, they may not be compelling but definitely useful enough to want to upgrade. Thanks for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back