Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSOutlook 2000 missing outlook address book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2006
US
Hi I know this has already been answered, this was one of the users question "I have a user with Outlook XP. When she composes an email and tries to select 'Contacts' in the 'To' selection box, the contacts selection appears empty. She can select recipients from the Global address book.

The Contacts folder can be displayed without problem when she is not trying to select recipients.",,,,,

We are using Exchange Server

but when I click on add in control panel, mail, and try to add the OAB it doesn't show up in the list, Do I need the CD to try and reload MS Office 2000 or is there another way..thanks for your help guys

If its Outlook XP, from the main Outlook window, go to Tools, Email Accounts, choose "add a new directory or address book", then choose "additional address books", then choose "outlook address book".

Outlook 2000, when I go to control panel/mail and there is a list of stuff to add ( personal folder, ms exchange etc ) there isn't a Outlook Address Book listed, which is kind of weird since I manage 500 computers and they all have it.

That is quite strange. It's on every one that I've seen. It might be worthwile to run Detect and Repair on that system.

Yeah I was going to try that, or just try to uninstall and reinstall. I just didn't have the CD with me... thanks for your help.

When in the contacts folder right click next to the "contacts" heading and select properties. On the Outlook Address Book tab make sure that the checkbox next to "Show this folder as an email address book" is checked.

Cheers.

That's correct, you won't be able to enable that option until you have an Outlook Address Book.

Oops. Sorry genghiskahn and smah. I misread the thread. That's what I get for working so late. :-(

I'm at home now so I don't have access to OL2K but if memory serves me correctly there is a diffence between Outlook contacts and Outlook address book and OL2K doesn't particularly like the OAB.

I seem to recall having a problem when we got a new TS a few years back. One particular user had used an OAB in OL98 on the old server. The old server was upgraded to OL2K and the OAB still worked however on the new server the OAB didn't show when you tried to select a recipient. I think I did a search in OL2K's help for "Outlook Address Book" and found a couple of options.

I'll see if I can find my notes and a machine that still has OL2K on it tomorrow when I'm at work.

Cheers.

The following is from OL2K help:

Add an address book to be checked for names
Click Inbox.

On the Tools menu, click Services, and then click the Addressing tab.

Click Add.

In the Address lists box, click the address book you want to add.

If you want to add a Contacts folder, you must select the Contacts folder name, not Outlook Address Book.

Click Add, and then click Close.

Quit and restart Outlook.

Note that there is a distinct difference between the OAB and the Contacts folder. In your original post you seem to be thinking of the two as one and the same. Could it be that your user has no OAB only a contacts folder?

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back