Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Msoft TS server does not see all local printers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchpeter

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
FR
When in session via Remote Desktop to our Msoft 2003 Enterprise Server (SP2)the session does not pick up all local printer resources. For example, connecting from home the local printers available are:

Laserjet 1320 (on LPT1)
PDF995
SagePDFPrinter
Business Inkjet 1100 (which I share from my wife's computer)

BUT, I cannot see my HP Pro L7680 (USB) nor Adobe PDF Writer.

Whilst this selectivity is clearly not a major issue to me with what I can see, when my boss connects from his home (with local printer resources enabled) he cannot see his one and only printer - a little HP5600 printer (on his LPT1).

Does anyone have any ideas on this, please?

For your RDP connection I always had issues in getting a local USB printer to be seen by an RDP session.

For your Boss' RDP connection does he have the check box next to Printers checked on the Local Resources tab of the RDP connection?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Thank you cmeagan656 for your post.

The boss's Local Resources tab does have the Printers box checked. With the HP5600 being on LTP1, I just do not know where I go from here.

In the Properties of your boss' printer, under the Sharing tab, is the printer set for "Share this printer" and have a share name associated with it. That would help make it accessible remotely.

We have a couple of people at our company that have printers attached locally and have this checked.

Not sure if that is what you were looking for but just a suggestion.

Thank you for these responses. I have now found that the problem is caused by lack of printer drivers on the server. Once these were installed for the remote printer evrything worked.

Always add the driver to the Terminal Server. We see this time and time again when clients add new printers to local.
In the Print Server properties, add only the drivers.
Do not add ports and drivers to the server. Printer will appear is all sessions and the boss may print to it and wonder where it printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back