Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSN / Yahoo behind MS Proxy 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattar

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2000
IN
Hello,

I am running MS Proxy 2.0. MSN Messenger & Yahoo Messenger are working fine on the server but do not work from the client machines behind the proxy. I have tried all the proxy settings. The users are able to browse but unable to use messenger. Any idea why.

Thanks & regards,
Srinivasan.

Install Microsoft Proxy client... all will be resolved...

I have installed the Proxy client on the client... What should be the parameters in MSN Messenger into the proxy setup dialog ?

TIA

No proxy,
The proxy client is a Winsock application (Windows Sockets). As long as the Winsock Proxy service is running on the server, all should work first time.
The proxy client makes Windows appear to have a 'routed' connection to the net (although only from Windows apps that support winsock).
You will find MSN, Kazaa, Napster, Outlook Express, ICQ all work fine with no additional configuration...

Ok It work fine with Outlook Express. It gets mail through the Proxy.

But with MSN Messenger, I can chat but when I try to initiate a vocal or video session, I have a msg saying : "A specific NAT translater can cause pb to a vocal or audio session" (free translation from french...).

Is there some tuning to do on MS Proxy ? Exept securing by closing unused ports, I have not done any setup...

Thanks again

Phil

Voice and file transfer don't work through proxies / nat'd connections. The reason being is that for file transfers to work the client has to be able to see the MSN server and vice versa, but of course the MSN server CAN'T see your PC directly - it is relying on the proxy to pass traffic.
What this amounts to is that your MSN Messenger PC is acting like a server when receiving and sending video and files.

Think about it for a minute.... The word 'Proxy' means to act on behalf of someone / something.
So when you make an internet request via a proxy, the proxy in fact does the request on your behalf - You don't have any access to the internet at all. The proxy does it on your behalf.
Problem is if a machine on the 'outside' i.e. the internet wishes to talk directly to your PC then you have a problem.

To be totally honest, its pretty good that chat programs like ICQ and MSN work at all!

So if I understand well. I have no hope to be able to have video session from the LAN...

The only solution would be to have a dedicated machine straight plugged on the internet. Is it ?

Thank you again

Phil

Also, the other machine at the other end should have a 'real world' IP address too....

Hi I am Chirag,

I am administring 4 servers on win2K including the mailserver and handling telecom department of the company.

My problem is different I have proxy installed on win2K and everything is accessiable to everybody now I want to block Yahoo and MSN chat to clients not to all clients.

Please guide me.

thanks
Chirag

To do this I think you're going to have to set up a firewall to block the Yahoo msgr port to all clients and then set up some allow rules to specific Ip addresses. I can't think of any other way of doing this....
You could modify your hosts files on the proxy to point to localhost when going to various yahoo domains that allow for downloading of the Yahoo msgr client...
Then it cannot be downloaded - you get to choose who will have it installed ....

Hi Chirag,

You should set up a protocol in Winsock for Yahoo and MSN , and then restrict access to those users you want to allow to use it.

Regards,

z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back