Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

msn messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

awms

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2001
GB
how do i connect msn messanger thru isa server?

i've followed the guidelines, but it just won't connect to hotmail to sign in!

i found the port was allowed in protocol definitions in the isa server console, but it still won't allow it. is there a specific rule i have to add somewhere?

i can't find anything helpful (well, relevant to this) on the isaserver.org website.

Thanks,

Andrew

Did you create a "access control policy", to allow TCP port 1863 through your ISA server ?
(don't look at the protocol definitions...) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

do you mean in
isaserver/servers and arrays/server01/access policy/ip packet filters?

if so, i did. it allows 1863 outbound, and still, messnger says "Logon to MSN Messenger Service failed because the service is not responding. The service is not avaliable or you may not be connected to the Internet."

This message has been one of two shown, the other being something like "the proxy server declined your request"

:-(

yes...
Are you logging all firewall traffic ?
If so, check the log files and look which ports are being blocked on the time you want to connect to MSN... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

as far as i'm aware it is logging everything, but i can't see anything saying msn or msn messenger...

there's a few reports that say "unknown" under protocols, but apart from that, nothing.

i'm almost at the stage of giving up and throwing the system out the window...

>:-< %-(

that won't be necessary...

Are you sure your client can resolve internet names ?
Can you browse the internet, ... (do other internet stuff through your ISA server)

Please enable full logging, including the 'ALLOW' items...

What is the name of the log file you've checked ? Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

the internet access, and exchange server both work thru the proxy

how do i enable all logging? (i think it already is though)

i've checked all the logs shown in the isa server console...

am i meant to be finding one in explorer?

:-(

What is the name of the log file you've checked ?
What is the location where you've found the log files
Can you send me a zipped log file ? Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Hi. Check in the user and computer management (the old user manager for domains) if you have authorization to use the MSN. By default Win 2k Server desaibles it.

PTrigueira

Where are you trying to connect the msn (client or server)? If you are trying in the server you need to enable it in the packet filtering

good luck

Drtheater

I have a problem...since my PC has been reloaded with W2K I have not been able to access MSN Messenger. Before when I had NT4 there was no problem.

Any ideas?

There are also no restrictions with this...I am behind a firewall but all is the same as when I had NT4

oblutions@hotmail.com

I have msn server on mt win 2000 machine. When I im from outside the network to a user they recieve the message. If the reply to that message it say can't deliver message to user

Ok, I just figuered this guy out. First do what the MS site says to do.

Here is the link to it.

Now in the Messenger Client goto Tools-Options-Connection.

Now check the I use proxy box, and DO NOT use HTTP

Use Socks Ver4 with the IP of your proxy (internal side) with the defaul port of 1080.

As soon as you hit apply, it should work like a charm.

If you need more help, let me know.

Karl

ok cheers.

after a while, someone's come up with it!

i'll not be able to try for 6 months though, as i'm currently in sydney, and am making my way home to the uk through north america - and taking my time.

i'll note this down and try it though

many thanks Andrew Shepherd
AWMS IT Services
Tektips related emails to - tektips@awmsnet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back