Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSN Messenger voice conv works with dial-up, but not with cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadm

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
US
Hello, I am using MSN Messenger 4.6 on Windows 95. When I am connected via phone line, I can have voice conversations with the other people. I have recently installed a cable modem and since then I cannot have a voice conversation with MSN Messenger. I tried it with contacts that use both cable internet and dial-up. Sometimes it cannot find the other computer and sometimes it establishes a connection and immediately breaks it.
When I use dial-up it is still good, I can talk.
I believe this is either a firewall or setup related problem. Please let me know if you experienced a similar situation and could help.

Is this a single device behind a cable modem or are using a router behind the modem for multiple computers?

It is a single laptop connected directly to a cable modem.

I found out what caused the inability to talk. I have a firewall which has to be deactivated in order to have voice conversations.

RealTunnel has developed a new generic real time proxy ( that enable you to use MSN Messenger for voice and video behind any FW/NAT configuration (without opening any ports on FW).

Cool stuff. Still beta, so you'll have to request the download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back