Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSN Messenger / ICQ wont work on my LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

secular

Programmer
Jul 5, 2002
CA
I hooked up my iMAC to my router which is sharing a dsl connection with a PC.

The PC can connect to MSN messenger, icq, etc. But the MAC cannot connect to ICQ or MSN, but however i can use other aspects of the internet.

Please help me diagnose this problem!

Thanks

Set up your router by using the special app option and open the ports of ICQ and MSN. The build in firewall prolly blocks these ports. As a last but not recomende option you can put your Mac in teh DMZ zone, but then it won't be protected by the router's firewall.

Just quickly how do i put my mac in the DMZ zone?

Each router has different configuration options, so your answer isnt' simple. Basically each router usually has a web page for configuration. Open internet explorer and type in your router's IP address. usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 From there you should be able to map ports, or select an IP address for DMZ. Note, you will not want to be using DHCP, give your mac a static IP.
Best of luck,
PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back