Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSN Explorer installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxPacific

Programmer
Jun 22, 2001
US
Hi All,

We just put up a Windows XP box, we like to use Microsoft Explorer as it is a nice integrated easy-to-use environment. We are having trouble installing MSN Explorer, we haven't done anything fancy; MS Office, Lexmark all-in-one printer driver and Kazaa. When we try to install MSN Explorer the application just locks up. It doesn't lock the computer just the installation. We've tried to download the installation file(s) and isntall from the hard drive as well as just choosing the "Open" option on the MSN Explorer download page. Has anyone else had similar problems with MSN Explorer or have any advice on how to fix it??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aloha,

James

Here is the free Microsoft Support page for MSN see if that helps you.

What I find a little bit confusing about your post is that XP in most cases comes with MSN Explorer already installed. Is this a OEM version of XP that you have? Perhaps they are different.

Have a look in the Windows Components of the Add/Remove section. See if MSN Explorer is listed there already. If you are trying to install something that is already on your machine that might explain why it is behaving funny.

Also watch out for that Kazaa, it has a lot of spyware in it.

Yeah we tried setting up accounts with MSN that came with XP and when that froze up we tried to use the one available on the net.... same result.

However, I'm now having trouble connecting to the IM in MSN from another location (different city). I wonder if their network could be experiencing problems.

I know Kazaa has alot of sh*# but that's what they wanted so??? you know how that goes.

By the way what exactly is spyware, I've heard the term thrown around a bit but haven't come across a simple definition. Does spyware report your activity to a certain source?

Aloha,

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back