Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSI's in c:\winnt\installer folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech4U

MIS
Feb 26, 2002
US
I'm working with Wise Installer to create a msi "shell" for an executable so we can put it out through active directory. I want the program to show up in add/remove, but I don't want the MSI to show up. So I use the following properties:

ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT
ARPNOREMOVE

So it doesn't show up in add/remove which is fine, but if you run the MSI again, it will bring up the modify-repair-remove menu. Since it is calling an executable in the MSI, it will try to install the program again while uninstalling the MSI. Is there a way that I can have the MSI not create the file within the c:\winnt\installer folder?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks in advance,

T

I don't think it is so much the .msi copy in the Installer folder that is the issue, but the package code that is written to the registry by MSI during the installation.

When the .msi is launched, the MSI knows it has already installed this package and will go into Repair mode and show you the appropriate dialog. From here you could choose remove.

If you didn't have the .msi copy, you would likley get prompted to provide the install source.

YOu may need to look at using the INSTALLED property and set a custom action to run the .exe only if NOT INSTALLED equates true.

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

Sorry it's been so long since I have replied. I found out that you were correct before I saw this post. I checked out the registry and found that under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products" it will drop a registry key that basically tells the installer that it has been installed. I made the EXE delete this key after the product had been installed and when I ran the MSI again, it just reinstalled like I wanted it to and did not bring up the repair remove window.
(BTW, I check several machines and the long alpha-numeric number that it assigned to the product was the same across multiple machines and multiple platforms.)

Thank you very much for your response :)

Tony

Right on. This is the registry key that Windows looks at to populate the Add/Remove Programs window.

Expect the number to be the same across OS as it should be. Tthis is the package code assigned to the install package at creation time.

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

I believe the key you are talking about is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products ?

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back