Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n25

Technical User
Nov 4, 2004
US
Does MSI motherboards perform well?

Hi,

I have an MSI K7N2 ILSR m/board. All OK except for an inability to work with Netgear PCI Wireless networks card. Dunno if I was unlucky but both companies support people are blaming each other for the fault so I went the easiest route and bought a Linksys card.

Looking through the MSI forums ( they seem to be very picky about RAM.

Peva

I have a MSI board running our UNIX server, and is doing very well. Only problems was that the onboard NIC had no working drivers, so had to add a 3-COM NIC.

MSI fall into the top 4/5 motherboard manufactures and have a reputation of being one of the first "out of the trap" with new releases.
They are no better or worse in my opinion than:

Gigabyte, Asus, DFI, Abit etc

Their motherboards tend to be feature packed and good value.
It is always advisable though, to look for a review from a reputable site and even more helpful if in the review the motherboard is directly compared to other makes and models supporting the same CPU.
This can give you an idea of features, value, performance, build and reliability compared to it's competition.
I have an MSI in my main machine (MS-7025 K8 Neo2 Platinum)
but have personally used Abit, Gigabyte and Asus in the past, all much of a muchness.
The decision I make at the time of puchase is based on how it performs when compared to others makes of the same CPU type, cost and review reliability if a new release.
See:

Look for motherboard reviews.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I just wanted to add a quick 2¢ that MSI and Asus have admitted in the past to overclocking the CPU just slightly in what they call, "tweaking" performance.

We all know, however, that it's to look better in benchmarks. So don't base your choice strictly on performance alone, but instead focus on features in general. Any of the companies paparazi mentioned would be fine, including the topic of this thread, MSI.

Tom's Hardware has articles on the companies' explanations.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back