Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSI video cards & Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogerboots

Technical User
Apr 3, 2002
CA
Has anybody had issues with MSI video cards while using Windows XP? I ask because the all the drivers I've found on their site for this device are not "digitally signed" for XP and when I try to use any configuration tabs for the video card under the display properties menu I get DLL errors. I myself have a GeForce4 MX-440 card w/64mb of DDR ram. Tks in advance for any input.

It sounds more like an MSI driver problem than an MSI card problem. I would suggest trying the drivers at 90% of the time there drivers are signed. I have never had any dll errors with drivers from there site. As for what you might miss by using the drivers. Any special features programmed by MSI to take advantage of special features on there card. I don't know of any on that card, but I dont work for MSI so i might be wrong :)

Tks for the suggestion Mike,
I checked out their website, would the detonator drivers be an adequite substitute? The only feature that I may be interested in with my card is the TV out feature. But I would be satisfied with a working driver that doesn't chunk out my system. Again Tks.

The tv out feature is supported in the detonator drivers. They worked with my GeForce2 mx so unless microsoft decides to spite ya, they shouold work with yours. The detonator drivers covers all the geforce series and some other series also.

Perfect,
Tks for the suggestion Mike. I d-loaded the drivers and they worked great. Now if I could only get rid of those stupid MSI tabs that don't work in my display property window. Tks again

Just a final footnote,
I ended up reloading XP and this time I avoided the MSI video drivers entirely. The Detonator NVidia drivers are working perfectly and currently my system is not experiencing any hang ups as it was before. Tks again for the input.

well I just bought a msi geforce 4 mx460 because my voodoo 5 wasnt compatible with win xp and I get it home and plug it in and nothing is different, I cant play my graphic intense games like gta3 and the screen is really deformed. Im downloading those detonator drivers right now I hope this resolves my issue, however if it doesnt what could be causing these issues??

The detinator drivers wil not work for GTA3. in the readme there is a link that you'll need to visit, it is a patch from microsoft. (WOW!!! another one!) It will resolve the box look-a-like text from your screen.

On another note i have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 128mb agp, Im a big fan of DAOC and after a crash i got a ghosting look on my icons and text can i get any help or info on how to help get rid of the ghosting?

THX in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back