Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSI Package Re-Installs Everytime

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranja

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
I have created a few .msi packages using Veritas WinINSTALL LE. The idea being I could deploy these packages to the users and computers using GPO. While the GPO side of things works fine, each time a user clicks on one of these deployed packages it re-installs. This happens everytime the user double clicks on the application. It only seems to happen with Non-microsoft products like WinZip, Acrobat Reader, QuickTime Player, etc and only when the users log in as power users. If an administrator logs into that same machine, the application installs just once regardless of whether it has been assigned to the computer or user. Any subsequent attempts under the administrator account to open the application launch the application straight away, which is the way one would expect it to work.
Has anyone seen this problem before? Is anyone aware of a workaround for this. I browsed through Veritas site but could not locate any pointers for resolving this problem.All the msi packages were created on a "clean" machine as recommended by Veritas.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Tried the assigning to the machine in an OU and ... still reinstalls unless I am an Admin. I am about to punt on this one. Any other "repackaging" software out there that you guys would suggest? I would really like something with a trial version to see if this is going to work at all.

Thanks

Go on C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository and change the rights

I got the same problem last year and when I change the right everything was ok

I gave the user Full Control to that folder ...\wbem\ and all of the folders under it and it still reinstalls.
Ranja, have you had any luck?

oldcoach,
Sorry but I was away for a few days and have not had a chance to try anything else with the packager. Will update this once I get to try all your suggestions.
Thanks "I'd rather trust a liar than a politician"

What's the status on this project?

Should we use another deployment method (luckily SUS SP1 came out to help deploy patches and SPs)?

...or is there a fix for this that was addressed in a later service pack?

Thanks,
Micky

Sopht Solutions

Building Long-Term
IT Relationships. Everyday.

Our project was dropped half way through. Why aint I surprised! So never got around to resolving this or spend any time investigating the cause.

"I'd rather trust a liar than a politician"

I am new to this thread but reading through it sounds like the problem might be in registry changes that are trying to be applied. In other words, WinInstall LE is picking up on some change to the registry that only an Admin has access to or is part of the Administrator's user profile. This change goes into the package but a power user does not have permission to change it. It may not even have anything to do with the application trying to be installed.

I have not used Wininstall LE so I can't speak from experience. I have used InstallRite ( Unfortunately InstallRite does not make MSI files. Does Wininstall LE give you a detail breakdown of EVERY change it picks up to go into the package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back