Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Msgsvr32 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

billtiv

MIS
Oct 13, 1999
US
I added memory to my new 450 AMD K6/2, and about half the times I start the computer, I recieve the error Msgsvr32 disabled. Basically it shows the background to the desktop, then throws up this message. I am running Windows 98 Release 1. When this error comes up, the only thing it allows me to do is open task manager, and shutdown the PC. Has anyone seen this problem, or know the solution?

-if you remove the new memory, does the problem still occur?<br>
-try disabling any start-up sounds<br>
-Win 98 could be attempting to detect new hardware at this point, try disabling any sound cards, NIC's etc.<br>
-Does the computer boot into safe mode OK?<br>
-try reducing the hardware accleration and reduce the color depth<br>
<br>
Kris

Windows 98 wouldn't try to detect new memory, and everything worked fine till I added the memory. Also, Windows will start after a try or two. If it was constant I could understand. I went from 32 megs of memory to 160 megs.

Yes, Win98 wouldn't try to detect new memory, but I've seen computers redetect already existing hardware just by simply removing the cover. AFAIK, the function of the Windows Message Server, msgsrv32, is to relay PnP messages to different parts of the Operating System. It also oversees the operation of install programs, displays the logon box, plays system startup and shutdown sounds, and loads drivers. Something else you could try is to boot into safe mode, go into performance, troubleshooting, and put a check in all 6 check boxes, and reboot a couple of times. That should tell you if it's a driver problem. Out of curiosity, did it do the same thing with the old memory back in? Maybe the new DIMM is bad...<br>
<br>
Let us know how it goes... :)<br>
<br>
Kris

Try rebooting and as windows os loads hit F8 to get the menu. Select choice for logged c:\bootlog.txt Let windows boot and after it hangs reboot. Hit F8 again and select command prompt only. Edit c:\bootlog.txt and see what the last thing was that it tried to load. It could give you hints.<br>
good luck<br>

Peelink stated the obvious. Pull the new DIMMS and try to reproduce the error. I just spent several hours hunting down intermittant errors on a formerly stable Win98 machine (I wanted to blame it on the registry) and ended up fixing the problem by replacing one of the DIMMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back