Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSGBOX and "Cannot find instance" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbleA

Programmer
May 23, 2000
GB
Visit site
I've just discovered an annoying problem when running two instances of my FoxPro application.

The app makes extensive use of the MSGBOX function within the FOXTOOLS.FLL library. If I have one instance display a MSGBOX window, then exit the other app instance, returning to the first instance and attempting to choose a button in the dialog box results in a small (non-FoxPro) window with the error message "Cannot find instance". Recovery is possible, but it's an annoying glitch.

Any insight, especially cures, will be most welcome!

I'm running FPW2.6a on NT4. [sig]<p>Andy Blay<br><a href=mailto:a.d.blay@talk21.com>a.d.blay@talk21.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

More info:

The above description applies if the application is run as either an APP or an EXE in two instances of FoxPro. However, if it's two standalone EXE's, then the error message window is replaced by a GPF in FOXTOOLS.FLL and the application quits.

Since the application is only used as a standalone EXE, this makes the problem more serious since it is not recoverable. [sig]<p>Andy Blay<br><a href=mailto:a.d.blay@talk21.com>a.d.blay@talk21.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Unpleasant - but hopefully not insoluble

Running on NT, I tried a test program, and get the same as you.
I then create a shortcut to the app, and in the shortcut properties, tick the &quot;Run in separate memory space&quot; box.

Now it works fine. So long as you're on NT :-/
[sig][/sig]

Thanks for the tip - it works :)

Should have thought of it myself. Guess I'll carry on taking the coffee. [sig]<p>Andy Blay<br><a href=mailto:a.d.blay@talk21.com>a.d.blay@talk21.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back