Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Msg: Unable to download profile. Please contact your network administ

Status
Not open for further replies.

sze187

Technical User
Jan 15, 2002
GB
Currently running Metaframe v.1.8 SP2 and NT4.

Over the last 4 weeks, we've started to have problems with users logging into Metaframe. This has happened to about 4 users per week.

They get the login screen, and type in their details and then OK. But after that they get a quick window flash up with the msg "Msg: Unable to download profile. Please contact your network administrator(112)." Then it just bombs the use out of Metaframe, back onto their desktop.

So far, this has only happened to roaming users.

The only way that i can fix this is by deleting their old profile and creating a new one. But has anyone got any idea why this is happening?..can i prevent this from happening? Has anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks ....Sze

Do you have a profile in NT that metaframe uses like All Users and Default users? That might be part of your roaming profile problem.

We do have an ALL USERS folder and a DEFAULT USER Folder in the PROFILES. Are you saying that they might be missing, or that it may be corrupt?

I've had a similar problem. One of our servers downloads profiles from a central storage. Once users are either kicked off, or lose their connection, they cannot log back in until their profile is deleted. Once this starts happening, I delete their profile from the server on which they are trying to log on to. Once deleted, the profile gets recreated form the main server, and all is good until the problem reoccurs.

I'd like the behavior to be fixed as well, any solutions?

Thanks

This is an old issue - and there are many "fixes", none of which work perfectly.

I think fugger69's suggestion may be closer to the mark - although I have seen a similar issue in a couple of cases where the administrator had deleted the Default User folder. It could be worth re-creating the DU, if every user on a particular server has issues.

There are tools, such as delprof, which could be used in a scheduled script to clear locally cached profiles - I'd run this after a scheduled reboot, to make sure that there are no processes locking the profile open.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your help guys...lets see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back