Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.msg Attachment won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dziufus

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
US
I was sent a .msg attachment. It is supposed to be someone's contact information, but may also be a forwarded e-mail...

I am running W 2000 Pro SP3 and Outlook 2000 SP3.

How can I open this?

Try saving the file somewhere (desktop or whatever) then rename it, changing the extention to .eml

After renaming it opened in Outlook Express. Following is what it said.

Ã;¿AF¿Bdep }í¿ F¿  ¿ __substg1.0_00020102*ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ0__substg1.0_00030102* ÿÿÿÿ/__substg1.0_00040102*ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ-f__substg1.0_10190102*ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ,__substg1.0_100A0102*ÿÿÿÿ+ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 5> 0¿Þ?¯o?+??= E0ZM¯bÀÉ D\X-MimeOLE(X-MS-TNEF-CorrelatorX-MS-Has-AttachD?ÀF

rename it to .msg , rightclick it - Open With and select MS Outlook.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

When I change to .msg and open with Outlook I get the same thing I had originally. An e-mail with an attachment. When I click on the attachment it opens a second Outlook window that has a From: and a Subject: but no text.

Whe I saved the file to my desktop. The file was 369 Bytes

Hopefully Marc's suggestion works better than mine [sad]

sorry smah ;-)

Dziufus, that just means there is probably nothing in it.
But .. what extension is the attachment?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

.msg.msg

I took one of the .msg's off and got the same blank message.

It looks like there's nothing there, but I don't understand why the message is 369 Bytes.

that would be the header info, no more.

Marc
[/sub]

Any new thoughts?

I'm running low on ideas...

Like I said, the 369 is the header info.
Click view - Options to see them.

Marc
[/sub]

I am seeing the same thing on one of my PC's. I receive a forwarded email, and the email forwarded is an attachment. When I open the email, I get the attached email as an icon. If I open that it shows a blank email. I can access and view this from another client that has access to this inbox. They have no problem with viewing the exact same email but on a different PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back