Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSFlexGrid - A solution 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFoxy

Programmer
Dec 20, 2008
AU
This is how I solved my MSFLEXGRID / KB906715 problem.

Created a folder C:\VB (for convenience - optional)

Downloaded the VB6 SP6 Cumulative Update (KB957924) into c:\VB from:

Renamed it V.msi for convenience (optional).

Unpacked it using the command prompt. msiexec /a c:\vb\v.msi targetdir=c:\vb /qb

Copied msflxgrd.ocx from c:\vb\system to the windows\system32 folder (The new one is modified 13/11/2008).

In Command prompt, unregistered msflxgrd.ocx by: regsvr32 /u msflxgrd.ocx

Registered the new version by: regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx

My Access 2003 apps now work.

Disclaimer: This worked for me, it may not work for you. Do it at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for anything.

Brilliant...

Uninstall Microsoft KB960715 also works. If it breaks I didn't say so.

The problem with uninstalling the update is that it leaves the machine vulnerable. In all conscience I could not do that to my clients, quite apart from the possible legal ramifications.
Providing a CD to clients with a batch file to copy the updated OCX and register it, is a small price to pay for peace of mind and client satisfaction.
Microsoft might not agree, but then they wouldn't agree with a class action suit by everyone effected either.

My counter argument to uninstalling is that they were working for how long before the update and nothing happened while they were "vulnerable", now things do not work after the update.

Oz, just to be sure, you downloaded the VB6 update and just unpacked it instead of running because you don't have VB6, or because you didn't want to update your VB6?

Can I assume that for my end users I can just send them the OCX from Nov 13, get it registered properly, and they should be OK? Or at least after they delete the EXD files?

thanks!

Hi FossilFool, I have VB6, but not installed on my machines, so yes I downloaded and unpacked.
I did the procedures documented in my earlier post on one machine. On the other machines I just copied the OCX and registered it.
I haven't deleted any .exd files, none of the ones I found on my machines related to Access.
So I believe your assumption is correct.

Thanks for the tip to unpack the msi,
note that I had to specify a separate directory for the unpacking e.g.
msiexec /a c:\vb\v.msi targetdir=c:\vb\UNPACK /qb

I got error code 2203 otherwise.

It would have been useful if the KB960715 update included these updated OCXs!

I found that I could update a PC with the new MSFlexGrid.ocx file using the method that OzFoxy listed. I verified it was installed OK, but a website we are using still shows blank information when we access it. It may be that a function being used on the website is not allowed with the new OCX file on the PC, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back