Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

msdtc.exe lags

Status
Not open for further replies.

nh39

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
US
Hello,
I've just found out that my 2000 server - a DC acting as a file server, dns, wins and dhcp - runs very slow. When I checked the task manager, there is a program called msdtc.exe that was runnig and using anywhere from 80's to 99% of the CPU. I tried to end but got an access denied error. I've done some research and kind of have an idea what msdtc.exe is but not so much regarding how to fix my problem. I thought it would stop runnging at some point but sofar it's been running for a good 24 hour period and still maxing out the cpu. Thanks very much for any info and suggestion.

Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Component Services.

This is going to seem obvious and I am sure you have already done this:

To my knowledge msdtc is installed with IIS Personal and SQL Server.

1) Assess what have you/anyone else with access has changed recently ...
2) Straight off the bat I would Patch both IIS and SQL.
3) Turn off SQL Server and its agents and IIS one by one. If this Doesn't this stop the cpu usage then the problem is somewhere else...
4) Have you written any code on that server recently that uses SQL from IIS? If so check to see nothing is going barmy in there ...

Good luck!

Had excatly the same problem on my machine running Windows 2000 Server.

Solution :- Remove McAfee Virus software!!!

MSDTC.EXE hangs when you have McAfee installed and takes up all CPU usuage.

Use Kill from NT Resource kit to kill the MSDTC.EXE process and then uninstall McAfee, problem solved ( assuming that is you have the anti-virus software installed in the first place!! )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back