Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSDTC error on cluster trying to install Service Pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1911man

MIS
Apr 23, 2003
US
I am running Exchange 2003 Enterprise in an Active/Passive cluster (Server 2003 SP1). I am trying to install Service Pack 1 for the DST update (yes I know, SP1). I receive the following error message when I start the install and select Update.

-The Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator resource is not present or running on any node in this cluster. You must have the Distributed Transaction Coordinator resource running on at least one node in the cluster to continue.

Alright. The MSDTC cluster group is up and running. I tried to manually start the MSDTC service on the cluster nodes and it will not start. I think I had this problem when I originally built the cluster and tried to install exchange but cannot for the life of me remember what i did to get it working.

Microsoft told me they don't do phone support for SP1 issues. Pretty great. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Just in case anyone runs across this issue. Here was the fix and other issues.

The MSDTC group in the cluster was missing a resource for "Distributed Transaction Coordinator". Added that entry and was able to install SP2, but afte the reboot, the upgrade virtual server option was not available. After a lot of research, the cause of the problem was a node had been evicted from the cluster in the past. Base version of Exchange had to be reinstalled on one node in the cluster, and then SP2 could be applied. After a reinstall of Exchange, then the service pack, the upgrade worked. Virtual server was upgraded and 2nd cluster node was updated with SP2. Eight hours later you are done. %-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back